Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If You Could Recommend One Book...

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

If you could recommend one book to a Mom with a relatively new diagnosis, what would it be? 

I am reading three books right now and none of them are hitting home significantly.  I want to read everything I can, but every book I have right now stresses the restricted diet, detox, things like that.  Not to say those things don't work or aren't important, I just want to read something comforting that I can relate to and that gives ideas of therapeutic things  can do at home with my son.

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephw1110
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I liked  the first year autism spectrum disorder by Nancy wiseman and an early start for your child with autism by Sally Rogers and some other people.  I read both those at first and they had a lot of info. The second book has a lot of suggestions for relating to your child.  Also 10 things every child with autism wished you knew is good too.  For a book written by a parent I love love love the spark by Kristine Barnett.  I would wait on the books diet changes and all that stuff until you get yourself established.  It's a ton of info to take in all at once and I think knowing the basics is the best before you start making changes.  And I know a lot of people are against Autism Speaks but I think their first 100 days packet has some great info.  You can get it online or request they send you one.  

Stephw1110
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Oops... I guess you said one...oh well...

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach by Stanley Greenspan

This was the first book I read and it helped me sooooo much. It helped me learn to approach things at my daughter's level and to build a bridge between our worlds by showing I was interested in hers.

shunnicutt
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I just bought An Early Start for Your Child with Autism: Using Everyday Activities to Help Kids Connect, Communicate, and Learn to start with. Thank you so much for the recommendation, it looks like just what I need right now.

shunnicutt
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

just bought Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach by Stanley Greenspan also.  Thanks for the recommendations.

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Great question! I'm following to see what everyone says because I'd like to know too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:31 AM

Not sure but I'm reading all the responses!

Gloria1025
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:46 AM

One of the first things I read was "Thinking Person's Guide To Autism". It gave me the confidence to trust my instincts, not believe everything I read/heard and that just because something was great for one child, it may or may not be right for my child and that is OK - we learn along the way.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting shunnicutt:

just bought Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach by Stanley Greenspan also.  Thanks for the recommendations.

This is supposed to be a really good one!

shunnicutt
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:58 AM

Quoting Stephw1110:

I liked  the first year autism spectrum disorder by Nancy wiseman and an early start for your child with autism by Sally Rogers and some other people.  I read both those at first and they had a lot of info. The second book has a lot of suggestions for relating to your child.  Also 10 things every child with autism wished you knew is good too.  For a book written by a parent I love love love the spark by Kristine Barnett.  I would wait on the books diet changes and all that stuff until you get yourself established.  It's a ton of info to take in all at once and I think knowing the basics is the best before you start making changes.  And I know a lot of people are against Autism Speaks but I think their first 100 days packet has some great info.  You can get it online or request they send you one.  

My son's pediatrician gave me the early start for your child with autism book and said it was in his opinion the best place to start as it teaches you therapy you can do yourself at home while waiting for services to start.  One of the authors, Geraldine Dawson, is the Director of the Duke Center for Autism and Brain Development, and our pediatrician is part of the Duke University Medical System.  Great recommendation, it was fun being able to say I had already bought that book for my kindle, but he gave us a copy anyway for my husband to read.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)