Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Are your children close to their grandparents?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:22 AM
  • 41 Replies

Are your children, particulary your child with ASD, close to their grandparents?  How often do they spend time with them?

All three of my kids are close to my mom and step dad.  My oldest rents their basement apartment and my younger two love spending time there, especially if they get to spend the night.  Colin is particularly close to my step dad and loves to help him make breakfast and go run errands with him.  None of us are especially close to my dad or step mom though, mostly due to distance.

grandmagrandpa

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:25 AM

My kids have the worst grandparents on the East coast...possibly the world, lol.

My mom is a fruit loop and can;t care for herself so I basically have accepted that.

My inlaws are literally in my backyard and although we see them often, they are emotionally cold and unavailable. My FIL is much better than my MIL but still not what I envisioned for my kids AT ALL.

gdiamante
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM

My son was very close to my parents. They were his primary caregivers from 10 weeks to about two years, and still spent a lot of time with him even when we put him into daycare to give them a break. My dad died when he was six, and we actually didn't tell him until a day later because he was set to receive a "student of the month" award at school the next day and we didn't want to ruin that for him. My moher passed away the next year (both my parents had cancer). 

For the longest time we thought his ASD behaviors were caused by being angry over losing both his grandparents. That was part of it, but not all by any means.

He was never close to my MIL; she held herself at a distance and was the loser for it. She died in 2012. 

My FIL died five years before Tony was born.

dannix7x
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:51 AM
No. Which makes me sad but I've accreted it.

He was very close to my husbands mother before she passes, but now I'm not even sure he remembers her.
shunnicutt
by Stephanie on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:05 AM

My son is very close with all of his Grandparents, my mother and step-father live farther away, so we don't get to see them as often.  He has a step Grandpa on my side and a step-Grandpa and step-Grandma of his father's side so he is loaded with wonderful Grandparents.  When he says his night time prayers he HAS to name each one when he says "God bless...." heehee, so cute!

They all live out of state, but my husband's family is only a six hour drive away, so we see them the most.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:58 AM

My Mother and Step father are in NY and we are in MN. They are supportive for the most part. My mother is always telling me that I don't give Logz enough credit. She has a very hard time dealing with his disability. Her take on Morgan is just that she is a disrespectful brat. She leaves no room for reasons for the behavior. We talk every day but don't see each other often.

My bio father passed away last month having never met Logan or Morgan.

My MIL lives in an assisted living facility about 30 mins away. She is very supportive but can't do much with Logan. She is close with Morgan when the mood strikes her.

So I guess I have to say they are not close to any of their grandparents.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM

My husbands parents passed away when he was a child and he was a foster child and then lived with cousins. His cousins family is great with my kids but we don't see them that much.

My parents are awesome and a huge help with my kiddos. Ashton has always been close to them. At first it was my dad he was super close to but now he is also really close to my mom. My kids are going there for the next 3 days and I know they will have a ton of fun. I just wish my parents lived closer..they live almost 2 hours away :/

net23mom
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM

My son is very close to my mom and step dad.We live in the same town. He is not really close to my step mom but that's because she lives in another state. My dad is no longer living

singlemotherof8
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM

My 9 year old granddaughter and i are close because i am raising her. I have had her sense she was born and adopted her when she was 3. As for her great grandparents they are deceased, but not even my children were close to them. They loved their grandmother but didn't care or like being around their grandfather.

mamalena137
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM

My son is very close to my parents. My dad is retired and has been watching Patrick since I went back to work. We actually live with them right now, so he gets to see them most everyday. My ex's mother only gets to see him once or twice a year. Unfortunately she lives several states away. They seem to do good when they see eachother and he seems to remember her. He doesn't know his paternal grandfather, but that's another can of worms.

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM
My son is very close to my mother and father. He is also close to my MIL, although she recently moved out of state again. My FIL has never met him, unless you count Skype when he was younger.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)