Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

And so the school anxiety starts.....

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:30 AM
  • 6 Replies

FOR ME!

I had an IEP meeting at school yesterday to talk about more mainstreaming since the 6 months in Special Ed is NOT working out. Its basically staying the same where D is in mainstream Science, Social Studies and all specials, but then in Soecial Ed for the rest. They said with the state's requirements for kids, he just can't keep with in mainstream. I agree but don't understand why just modifying in mainstream as we always did isn't ok anymore?

So left the meeting defeated again and have stressed about the upcoming school year (and LIFE honestly!) to the point where I slept on and off for about 4 hours and have been up drinking coffee and looking up what I can online for D.

School starts after Labor Day and I am just not prepared for it. Anyone else stress the way I do? tell me I'm not the only one!!! I hate him having to go to school!simple frown

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I am very anxious about school starting this year. Logan had such a hard time last year and this year there is a new sped teacher with little experience. The school allowed us to meet with her and she gave me her personal number and e-mail. I hope that is a sign that she is willing to work with us.

johnns
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm nervous too. Sally will be in mainstream kindergarten, in our new school in ND. Only 10 kids in her class. We had her IEP at the end of school last year. Can't believe she will be going all day, all week. She loves school, but has never put in this many hours. I don't know anyone there. She's a real handful- just don't want her treated bad. I just pray she is in good hands. Worst part will be getting a tired little girl in the routine. Sally is still not comfortable sleeping in her own room yet.
DH started yet another new job, and for the first time ever my family will all be on the same morning schedule. Not sure if this is a blessing or curse! Lol
jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Yes, definitely I stress about school for my daughter a lot. The entire structure is just not suited for how she learns. We fought with the district/school very hard last year & she finally has good supports in place. I fear it won't be enough because It's honestly like I dump her into a world everyday where people are speaking an unknown language & she's expected to follow. It's exhausting for her & her stress level is very high. She started yesterday. She supposedly had a good day, but her behaviorist told me the day was extremely chaotic at the school / classroom. She saw me at home after school & just started screaming, releasing all that stress. I know I have to give it longer than 1 day, but I won't do this to her all year. There must be something better, but I don't know what that could be.
aakeiser
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:28 AM
Hugs. I am worried about this year because my son's school is mainstreaming all the special ed classes. They are having what is called Co teaching. Two teachers teach the same class and both help all the children. I already seen last night at open house that some parents are not happy about this. I am not sure what they do if the child has issues and keep up. A friend of who teaches in another state said they do that and it works. Xavier's teacher from last year said he is almost caught up with the other kids and he will be fine.

We all would not be good mom's if we did not worry a little about them going to school or going into a new grade. This means new challenges and new situation.
TheJerseyGirl
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:33 AM

This is such a hard job to handle, isnt it? No one understands but everyone in this group!

Big hugs...hang in there!

Quoting jennymoon4: Yes, definitely I stress about school for my daughter a lot. The entire structure is just not suited for how she learns. We fought with the district/school very hard last year & she finally has good supports in place. I fear it won't be enough because It's honestly like I dump her into a world everyday where people are speaking an unknown language & she's expected to follow. It's exhausting for her & her stress level is very high. She started yesterday. She supposedly had a good day, but her behaviorist told me the day was extremely chaotic at the school / classroom. She saw me at home after school & just started screaming, releasing all that stress. I know I have to give it longer than 1 day, but I won't do this to her all year. There must be something better, but I don't know what that could be.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs right back to you!

Quoting aakeiser: Hugs. I am worried about this year because my son's school is mainstreaming all the special ed classes. They are having what is called Co teaching. Two teachers teach the same class and both help all the children. I already seen last night at open house that some parents are not happy about this. I am not sure what they do if the child has issues and keep up. A friend of who teaches in another state said they do that and it works. Xavier's teacher from last year said he is almost caught up with the other kids and he will be fine. We all would not be good mom's if we did not worry a little about them going to school or going into a new grade. This means new challenges and new situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)