Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Anxiety meds?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

For you not the kids...lol.

I'm strongly considering it and know I'd benefit from it, but usually refuse to take so much as Tylenol, so I'm a little leary.

Do you/have you taken anxiety meds? Did you really feel a difference? Any words would be appreciated!

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jowen905
by Jan on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I take Prozac everyday and Xanax as needed.  I have Panic Disorder and OCD.  I was very leary to take meds, believe me!  But it got to the point where I felt anxious all the time and had the occasional panic attack (NOT a pleasant experience!).  After about 4-5 weeks on Prozac I noticed a difference.  I just felt like ME, which I hadn't felt for some time.  It didn't make me feel all happy, life is great, sunshine and unicorns.  I just felt "right".  Good days and bad days like everyone has, but the anxiety and knot in my stomach were gone.

I did try a period without taking the med (okay'd it with doctor and weaned off of it), because I still didn't like the idea of having to take a med to feel like myself (plus, though I haven't had any side effects, I always wonder what negative side effect they might discover in the future!).  Within a few weeks, I felt anxious, worried and on edge all of the time.  I would have panic attacks at night for no specific reason.  I gave it a couple of months and I still felt bad.  So, I went back on it and within a few days I felt okay again.  So, I guess I'm on it for the foreseeable future!  My grandmother and mom both have (had) anxiety and depression.  My son has anxiety disorder.  It's in our genes!

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you find what you need.  If you ever want to talk, feel free to message me.  I know first-hand how anxiety can be.  Hugs!

charley31
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry you have anxiety. I have it bad too...it's a real b*tch. I'm on Xanax. It works great for me. I like it because if I feel ok Idont take it. If I'm real anxious for whatever reason I take one and within 30min or so I feel better. I don't feel sleepy or anything either. I was taking it every day when Samuel was real sick and I was struggling with ppd. It def helps. Now I take it a few times a week. Good luck and I'm sorry you're anxious but I get it. I hate Meds too but it helps.
Kermitthemom23
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Lemon balm is an anti anxiety. And tasty too. Camomile can help as well. Iced tea anyone?
Most healthfood stores carry a product called rescue remedy. Tinctue is best. Works really good in, people and pets. I say try some natural options before going to meds.
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I take several meds including Klonipin for anxiety. I have also tried weaning off with no success. Don't beat yourself up if you need a little help with meds. We deal with so many distressing situations that it's a wonder we are not all in straight jackets LOL.

lisa12121
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Hi. I have suffered from GAD my whole life. This is not stress induced anxiety, but anxiety and panic for no darn good reason. Trust me, the meds help you to feel "normal". When you feel comfortable in your own skin, you are a much better parent, spouse, and friend to all those around you. Please consider it.

shunnicutt
by Stephanie on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:36 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Logansmom1999:

I take several meds including Klonipin for anxiety. I have also tried weaning off with no success. Don't beat yourself up if you need a little help with meds. We deal with so many distressing situations that it's a wonder we are not all in straight jackets LOL.

I take Klonopin also, as needed, along with Prozac, Abilify and Vyvanse.  A lot, I know...lol, I have General Anxiety Disorder and ADHD.  I used to be so hesitant to take meds until I started really working with my therapist and realized there were things that I couldn't control on my own.  It has been such a blessing for me personally, although I know it's not for everyone.  I don't see it as a weakness, like I used to, I see it as doing what I need to do for myself in order to be 100% for my family.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM
(((Hugs)))Michele, I'm on celexa because I have horrible anxiety. I feel fantastic! My anxiety was so bad I didn't want to leave the house. I did gain weight but I'd rather gain a few pounds than be depressed & anxiety ridden. It really has changed my life!
drmommy24
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I also have anxiety very bad.  I take lorazepam at night when I am too wound up but because my son doesn't sleep well I am always scared I will miss something going on with him if I am too relaxed.  I also have awful depression and take Wellbutrin and Cymbalta.  Cymbalta was for nerve damage and it worked for that but it is also an antidepressant.  Anyway, I still drag.  But I am so much worse without it.  I have tried natural methods too, valerian root, chamomile, rescue remedy, natural calm.  Nothing really has ever taken away my anxiety.  The mornings are the worst for me.  Just thinking of getting my kids off and myself to work plus traffic equals vomiting damn near every morning at times.  I hope that you find the drug that works for you. 

Be blessed. 

drmommy24
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Have you noticed a true difference with Prozac, I felt crazy.  and with Xanax, I thought I was going to fall asleep standing up?  Does it affect your ability to function or is the anxiety so bad that it is worth it?

Quoting jowen905:

I take Prozac everyday and Xanax as needed.  I

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I diffuse essential oils and that has helped me so much! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)