Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hypercity is back live in action!

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son started taking a new med for his ADHD. Granted he also is a nonverbal autistic with intellectual diasabilites added with ADHD! We started to give this med slowly, The goal from the doctor prescibing the med was to get more focus decrease ADHD. He started with a 1/2 in the morning which was great focus but sleepy all the time. Then after a week the doc increased his meds 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. (These are tiny pills)

So he has been on this dose am and pm for two weeks. The first week he was focused looking around and Now this Week he has started screeching and spinning and running around faster and faster like the energizer bunny on steroids! His  already sensitvie hands are being even more aggressive and intense. He will be on hyperdrive all day until he crashes fast asleep instantly. Like hyper then drop! zzz Oh and did I mention he seems to be growing? So I am not sure if its the meds his autism, or growing all at the same time? 

Well I am wondering have any of you had experience with ADHD meds? Good or bad side affects I am not sure whether to wait and see if over time this hyperactivity decreases or should I get him off of them right away. watching tennisfrustratedslap

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:01 PM
My son has been on several different types of med.s for adhd. It doesn't sound like that particular med is working for him. It should calm him down & help him focus. Not make him crazy hyper & then crash. I'd definitely call his doctor & consult with him/her. Good luck!
Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I would definitely talk to his dr.  Might just be the med isnt a good fit for him. 

Mwheels72
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I thought too. I just wasn't sure because I've heard other mothers tell me sometimes it takes awhile to adjust in their system. But I am not happy with the results of this med so far. bad

Quoting wildchild.com: My son has been on several different types of med.s for adhd. It doesn't sound like that particular med is working for him. It should calm him down & help him focus. Not make him crazy hyper & then crash. I'd definitely call his doctor & consult with him/her. Good luck!

Mwheels72
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm Going to call the doctor this is totally crazy.jigsaw ribbon

Quoting Charizma77:

I would definitely talk to his dr.  Might just be the med isnt a good fit for him. 

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:25 AM

My daughter was misdiagnosed as ADHD and Sensory Integrative Dysfunction. I believe the SID is accurate but not the ADHD. She has been on so many meds for ADHD and they would work for a few weeks then it was right back to where we started.She is now diagnosed bipolar which I think might be accurate but the doc is missing the ASD piece. We are looking for a doctor qualified to diagnose adults on the spectrum.

Mwheels72
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I finally found something that seems to calm his senses for a little while this morning, Classical piano music. He Finally fell asleep for a little while.listening to tunes

amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Oh gosh, it sounds like maybe that's not the right med for your son. Definitely talk to the doctor about it and see if there's another you can try.

Both of my younger kids have ADHD (with the youngest being on the spectrum) and both are taking Concerta.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 7:00 AM

D is so far from ADHD it isnt even a joke! He actually needs a little hyperactivity because he's like a couch potato...lol.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM

I agree here...hugs!

Quoting Charizma77:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)