Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen daughter leaking breast milk....HELP!

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM
  • 16 Replies

My 14 yr. old severely aut (nonverbal and still in diapers) has been taking Risperdal for 7-8 years and has been on a low dose birth control for 2 years.  She also takes Klonopin and Trileptal which she started about a year ago.  Last week she had an infection and has been on strong antibiotics. Yesterday her breasts started leaking milk and I just about freaked out!  We have a Dr. appt. in the morning but wonder if anyone here has experienced anything similar? 

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopeful_leslie
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:09 PM
No nothing here- Hope everything comes out ok for dd tomorrow
Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Nothing here either...though my dd is also on Risperdal as well. Keep us updated. Good luck tomorrow!

SuDoNim
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I know that can happen with Risperdal, particularly at higher doses. Something to do with it can elevate prolactin levels.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM
I've heard of this happening with the Risperdol. Hope you figure it out at the doctors office.
lhiannan
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Risperdol has that side effect.  how high is her dose?

shunnicutt
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Risperdal Side Effects:
This medication may increase a certain natural substance (prolactin) made by your body. For females, this increase in prolactin may result in unwanted breast milk, missed/stopped periods, or difficulty becoming pregnant.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
MyLittleMunchie
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM
When I was an early teen that actually happened to me. Not a lot, but enough to notice on my bra. My mother took me to the Dr. and the explanation was that my hormones were like super charged being a teen. It only happened a handful of times and the Dr didn't prescribe anything.

Since your dd is taking a lot of meds, they're probably causing her hormone levels to be high.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Big hugs! Let us know how the appointment goes. 

KristiAustin
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Her risperedal dose is 3 mg. twice a day, which I believe is the max.  They have slowly increased it as she has grown.  She is 5' 6" and 190 lbs.  I'm hoping it is just the hormone levels out of whack and not something that will do permanent harm.  Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will let you know what the Doc says tomorrow.

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM
That's seems so scary! Please keep us updated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)