Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I really need advice. He's so stressed and anxious he's literally sick

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 5:36 PM
  • 29 Replies
The title says it all. He is so stressed, nervous, anxious, etc about starting school he is literally sick over it. We have OT and a pedi no other help at this time (it fell through).

I highly doubt any medications, even if started today, will kick in and help before Thursday.

Any advice? I don't know what to do...
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shunnicutt
by Stephanie on Aug. 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I have been showing my son movies that relate to first school experiences, his favorite is Leapfrog, Let's go to school.  There are anxiety medications that are immediate, but I would refer to his pediatrician for that.  Maybe the teacher will let you sit in for the first little bit of class so he doesn't feel alone, I'm not sure if they let parents do that, my son will be starting pre-school soon and has never been in an environment even close, so I feel your pain, although with us I think I am the one who is sick with the anxiety. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Are able to bring him to the school & show him the classroom & meet the teacher? How about a social story?
ballerina.2006
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:24 PM
He has done social stories in OT. We've been to the school 4times in the last week. He met his teacher 2 of those days, classroom 3 days, walked around the school a couple times, etc. we have our actual meet n greet Monday where he gets 1 on 1 with the teacher in the class.

Quoting wildchild.com: Are able to bring him to the school & show him the classroom & meet the teacher? How about a social story?
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Hopefully doing all that when the actual day comes he just might be ok. Good luck!

Quoting ballerina.2006: He has done social stories in OT. We've been to the school 4times in the last week. He met his teacher 2 of those days, classroom 3 days, walked around the school a couple times, etc. we have our actual meet n greet Monday where he gets 1 on 1 with the teacher in the class.

Quoting wildchild.com: Are able to bring him to the school & show him the classroom & meet the teacher? How about a social story?
PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Some drug free options.. Rescue remedy pastilles and inositol powder.  I would let him have a RR pastille every time he gets anxious and give him a scoop of inositol powder 2-3 times a day.  If you find the inositol powder helpful, you can order it bulk (bulk supplements) from amazon.  

ballerina.2006
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:56 PM
I add a new experience or two each time we go just so the entire process isn't 100% new. I hope it helps too but right now he's literally sick with worry :(

Quoting wildchild.com: Hopefully doing all that when the actual day comes he just might be ok. Good luck!

Quoting ballerina.2006: He has done social stories in OT. We've been to the school 4times in the last week. He met his teacher 2 of those days, classroom 3 days, walked around the school a couple times, etc. we have our actual meet n greet Monday where he gets 1 on 1 with the teacher in the class.

ballerina.2006
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:57 PM
I'm going to our local herb/natural shop tomorrow. I'll look for those!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Some drug free options.. Rescue remedy pastilles and inositol powder.  I would let him have a RR pastille every time he gets anxious and give him a scoop of inositol powder 2-3 times a day.  If you find the inositol powder helpful, you can order it bulk (bulk supplements) from amazon.  

PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:01 PM

You can also order them (click on the link) online from swanson vitamins.

Quoting ballerina.2006: I'm going to our local herb/natural shop tomorrow. I'll look for those!
Quoting PinkButterfly66:

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 16, 2014 at 6:56 AM
Awe poor baby (((hugs)))to him & you.

Quoting ballerina.2006: I add a new experience or two each time we go just so the entire process isn't 100% new. I hope it helps too but right now he's literally sick with worry :(

Quoting wildchild.com: Hopefully doing all that when the actual day comes he just might be ok. Good luck!

Macphee
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Let him take an item for comfort for the first two weeks, toy/book/candy. Also have sensory activities before and after school to ease his body from the stress.

Also, be aware of your mental state. As moms, our kiddos look to us for their emotional state as well. Don't coddle too much, once his routine gets going he'll be fine. Send a favorite snack he can share with his teacher or something. Also, encourage them to have a "calm" corner for him, music, book, pillow, etc
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN