Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

he Read a book!

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:45 PM
  • 12 Replies
4 moms liked this
Huge wins today! Have to brag a little.

Well today was day one full day kinder mainstream. He ditched mommy at the door like I was old news. I even held him back telling him "no you're supposed to cry" he told me " stop it weirdo" lol and took off. Into class.

But he got a green card! No self injury, no vocal outburst. Even a " he was very well behaved" from the teacher. Huge win with all the bahvior problems we have had recently. They have upped his Gunaficine(sp?) For his hyperactivity though so now he will need to take a dose at school, and may up his risperdone for the injury and violent outburst.

But I work with him daily on math, and reading, and writing because little man has enough to hold him back, I want him to at least be at level whether he pays attention or not, and so the teacher can focus on other children. I make hi do educational games to earn gaming time for non educational. I always sit by him when playing educational. It finally is clicking!

He read "Who hid it?" Although its very basic four word pages he did it. Ex "who hid the sock?" And then a picture to find the object. But he did it.

I am over the moon. Small win for most, but huge for me. He is self concious of reading because of his speech issues, but he did it. Then he showed his younger brothers, and dh.

It was a new book to.
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:50 PM
That's awesome!
K1tten
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Congrats! Brag away! I remember that feeling and I still get it each time Zion does it to this day!

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:56 PM
He had the speech of a 1 year old at three, and is comprehensive delayed by around a year and a half. So I have probably over done the teaching. My nurotypical 2 yr old ds is reading some words aloud, and I am like " ok maybe I am pushing a little" lol

But every "normal" development he hits at the right time I feel like throwing a party lol its funny how these thing others see as " normal" make us jump and yell like fools lol

Like when ds was 3 and said " I love you daddy" to dh , his first full sentance man how dh bragged.

Quoting K1tten:

Congrats! Brag away! I remember that feeling and I still get it each time Zion does it to this day!

K1tten
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:05 PM

LOL we have the right to brag! Unless you live with a child with any kind of disability and they get over a hurdle  you just don't get  why as a parent we want to toss a party all the time and brag as we run crazy and tell anyone that listens.

Quoting 1TallMamaCA: He had the speech of a 1 year old at three, and is comprehensive delayed by around a year and a half. So I have probably over done the teaching. My nurotypical 2 yr old ds is reading some words aloud, and I am like " ok maybe I am pushing a little" lol But every "normal" development he hits at the right time I feel like throwing a party lol its funny how these thing others see as " normal" make us jump and yell like fools lol Like when ds was 3 and said " I love you daddy" to dh , his first full sentance man how dh bragged.
Quoting K1tten:

“Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain.”
― Vivian Greene
Macphee
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Brag brag brag. Awesome victory
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Yay that's wonderful!
shunnicutt
by Stephanie on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:51 PM

That is so huge!  Congrats Mama, it sounds like you are working very hard to get to this point, great job!  And his sweet little reply to you saying he was supposed to cry is priceless!

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting shunnicutt:

That is so huge!  Congrats Mama, it sounds like you are working very hard to get to this point, great job!  And his sweet little reply to you saying he was supposed to cry is priceless!

I had to physically hold him back the minute the door opened, the teacher had to tell him to slow down... he never even looked back. 

upon pick up (its full day mainstream 8-130) he said "hey mom whats up?' and tossed me his lunch bag and started walking towards my van. 

I blame two years of half day headstart on this. He was to ready to be rid of me lol 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 16, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Awesome news!!!!

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM

way to go

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN