Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Life of a spectrum sibling

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM
  • 10 Replies
So NT has been a typical
brother with ASD son. Lots of jealousy, rivalry, fighting. They are currently in the same grade, two classes. ASD son is in a class with all of NT son's classmates from last year. His therapist, dh, myself, everyone is over the moon with ASD son being in Gned full time. NT still gets his congrats and kudos, etc. but maybe was feeling some competition.

Life hit him full force. Another student asked ASD son what was his name (confused with another kid), ds ignored the guy, so he told ASD son what are they doing putting a stupid preschooler in this school. NT overheard and said that he was shaking his fists at the kid. He talked about wanting to punch him out and nobody messes with my brother. They're back to being best friends.

I try to discourage ds being too protective, because SN ds will have to stick up for himself. Just wondering how it goes in the future
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elkmomma
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM

What a wonderful little man you have !    It probably wont change much, even as adults.  I still stick up for my siblings too.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:53 PM

That was sweet of him to stick up for his brother! 

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM
I try to teach my kids to stick up for each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I have SN triplets in the same grade, so I soooo wonder this too.  What is going to happen, will they stick up for each other, etc.  It will be interesting.  Sweet your son was protective. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:47 AM

Hugs mama...we only have one child but I find it very sweet and loving he stuck up for his brother.  Hugs!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:25 AM

My daughter is so awful to my ASD son sometimes while my older son is AWESOME. But trust me when I say don't let anyone look at my ASD son crosseyes or you'll feel her wrath!LOL!

In the end, they have each other's backs and I know thus will be the same for your boys!

and what a disgusting man to say such a thing!!!!

AmandaWiggins
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:38 AM
That is so sweet! I have a sn Asperger's son who just turned 5 and a 1 year old. Sn son is very protective of my 1 year old dd. I wonder if the roles will be reversed in a few years and she'll be standing up for him?
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Sounds like they are doing well together. The situation is both good and challenging. Best luck.

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM

My oldest nt lives on his own. My daughter is hf ASD and my youngest son is severe ASD. My daughter is the queen of jealousy when it comes to Logan because he requires so much attention and support. Little does she realize - she is getting the same just in different ways.

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM

hugs

Quoting Logansmom1999:

My oldest nt lives on his own. My daughter is hf ASD and my youngest son is severe ASD. My daughter is the queen of jealousy when it comes to Logan because he requires so much attention and support. Little does she realize - she is getting the same just in different ways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)