Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Has your child been under anesthesia?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM
  • 34 Replies
DS is having a MRI next month and they're going to put him to sleep for it. Has your child been under anesthesia? If so, how'd they do coming out of it? Did they regress any or were they more aggressive? Those are two of my major concerns based on some things I've read.
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Yes my son was 5yrs old when he had to have an infected front tooth removed after injuring at the park. The anesthesiologist was awesome & it probably only took all of 20 minutes to have the whole procedure done. He was groggy at first but was himself within hours. There was no regression & I believe he was back in school the next day. Good luck!
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
there was no agression either. He was just scared when he woke up. Looking for mommy.

Quoting wildchild.com: Yes my son was 5yrs old when he had to have an infected front tooth removed after injuring at the park. The anesthesiologist was awesome & it probably only took all of 20 minutes to have the whole procedure done. He was groggy at first but was himself within hours. There was no regression & I believe he was back in school the next day. Good luck!
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:07 PM

My daughter had a sedated mri as well. She didn't regress or have any aggression. It took her a while to wake up and just wanted to curl in my lap while waking up. The only struggle with her is the moment she was awake enough to realize there was an iv in her hand (they had put the cast thing on to cover it before I was even brought back because she attacked her iv before even beginning to open her eyes) she didn't care that cast was on, she wanted everything off!! She started crying and fighting me with her free hand that I kept trying to keep from her iv hand. I told them they had to take it out! They refused until she drank something .... well, that was pretty difficult since she was attacking her hand. I got her to drink of quarter of her juice and they finally removed it. She didn't even cry removing the iv, she was so dang happy to get it out. As soon as it was gone, she sucked down the rest of her drink and I was like SEE! 

Other than that upon getting her home she was already ready to eat and she was acting like nothing had happened within 2 hours.

Rhapsitee
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! That makes me feel better!

Quoting wildchild.com: Yes my son was 5yrs old when he had to have an infected front tooth removed after injuring at the park. The anesthesiologist was awesome & it probably only took all of 20 minutes to have the whole procedure done. He was groggy at first but was himself within hours. There was no regression & I believe he was back in school the next day. Good luck!
Rhapsitee
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Ahh...I'm glad to know they have something to keep (or at least try to keep) the iv in place. Thanks!

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

My daughter had a sedated mri as well. She didn't regress or have any aggression. It took her a while to wake up and just wanted to curl in my lap while waking up. The only struggle with her is the moment she was awake enough to realize there was an iv in her hand (they had put the cast thing on to cover it before I was even brought back because she attacked her iv before even beginning to open her eyes) she didn't care that cast was on, she wanted everything off!! She started crying and fighting me with her free hand that I kept trying to keep from her iv hand. I told them they had to take it out! They refused until she drank something .... well, that was pretty difficult since she was attacking her hand. I got her to drink of quarter of her juice and they finally removed it. She didn't even cry removing the iv, she was so dang happy to get it out. As soon as it was gone, she sucked down the rest of her drink and I was like SEE! 

Other than that upon getting her home she was already ready to eat and she was acting like nothing had happened within 2 hours.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah .... I warned the people that my daughter would attack it. They kept assuring me she'd be so out of it that she wouldn't even know it was there. Then they came and got me and said "Geez, she immediately attacked the iv"   ....... sigh, I guess sometimes people just have to learn for themselves, lol.

Quoting Rhapsitee: Ahh...I'm glad to know they have something to keep (or at least try to keep) the iv in place. Thanks!
Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

When my dd went under she couldn't talk...the only difference that we really noticed was that she started talking after. She did just fine coming out of it too, then she went under again about a year or two later and again did just fine.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter with ASD has been under 10 times and been fine.  She woke up agressive once for an hour but got over it.  It was more about her not being able to hear/speak and no Mommy there at the time she was woken than anything ASD related. My son with ASD has been under twice and fine. 

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. Aidan had his tonsils & adenoids (not sure if I spelled that right) removed 3 years ago when he was 4. 

When he was waking up, he panicked a bit and started to gag. I think he just didn't know where he was, and the nurse said he could have been gagging since his throat was probably really dry. 

It took a few hours for him to fully wake up, but after that he was okay. Just in pain from having his tonsils removed. 

No regression either. 

MIRACLESMOM76
by New Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes, my daughter had sedated MRI when she was 3 yrs old, had eye surgery when she 2 yrs old also she was on a breathing machine for that. The last December she had her adenoids taking out and tube put in her ears. She never had any problems with sedation, I know it will be nerves racking for you as a parent, trust me I've been there and back. Don't worry your son or daughter will be just fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN