Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Nervous about transitioning back into school????

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am trying to stay cool but I am nervous about my son starting the new school year. He had a hard year last year and I am worried it has left him bitter about school. I just pray he has a good experience...

What do you do to prepare your kids for the tansition back into school?

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Usually schools have an open house just before the year starts. It is a great opportunity for him to meet his teachers with you by his side. Then talk about the cool displays in each classroom. It could significantly reduce his anxiety.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM
I'm nervous now about my dd starting preschool. The program we did this summer was so diiferent from the way things will work with the public school and its making my stomach churn. I took my dd to meet the teacher night but there's not a whole lot I can do to prepare. I talk about her going to school and point to the building to indicate its school .... But she's nonverbal and I'm really not sure how much she understands.
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Does she draw? If not, draw her school with her. Don't complete the faces of the kids and teachers. See if she will put smiles or frowns and tears.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom: I'm nervous now about my dd starting preschool. The program we did this summer was so diiferent from the way things will work with the public school and its making my stomach churn. I took my dd to meet the teacher night but there's not a whole lot I can do to prepare. I talk about her going to school and point to the building to indicate its school .... But she's nonverbal and I'm really not sure how much she understands.

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Does he have kids he tends to hang with at school. Invite them out for a picnic or pizza. Can you talk to his teachers about your concerns?

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Our ABA therapist made them social stories of their new school and teachers, new PECS schedules and PECS reminders to carry.  We went to meet the teacher and a couple additional private visits just him and teacher in the classroom.  We also go play at the recess equipment on the weekend that they will use in school.

not sure it mattered though, it has still been a rough week!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM
I'm nervous too! Brady had a horrible year too. But he has a new teacher & I've heard all good things about her. So far I've done a social story & made it as clear as possible that he will not be going back to his old teacher. He really seems to understand so yeah I'm praying too!
Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 24, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I'm a little anxious too even though Ashton had a great school year last year and this year looks promising. I just worry for him, I want so much for him and feel like I don't do enough...it's hard to explain. My typical child, she starts school this week too but I feel so different with her starting school..with her I can't wait to hear all about it..with Ashton he doesn't tell me much and I worry that he wouldn't tell me if something is bothering him or something is going on...  To prepare him we have been doign a countdown and each night we talk about school.. We also are going to visit his class tomorrow. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 25, 2014 at 1:32 AM
I talk about it! We've been talking about it all summer.

Tuesday is meet the teacher day and he starts Wednesday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:05 AM

Hugs mama...I can only imagine how tough school will be for our kids.  Brady will be at a new school, going all day, and with new people.  I can't do much to prepare him as he doesn't understand much.  All I can do is pray:)

net23mom
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 9:42 AM

We had 2 really hard years and DS was in  melt down mode since Friday. Meet the teacher went great then we went and got groceries and after that he started the behaviors and it ON AND OFF ALL WEEKEND LONG OMG  I am tired today. But the  this morning went great! Pray  that this year will be good

fingers crossed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)