Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Just transitioning or something else?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son started first grade yesterday. His teacher said he has been doing great except for eating his lunch. He didn't finish it yesterday or today in the cafeteria. He told his teacher it was too loud in the cafeteria. Maybe it will just take time for him to transition back into school again. Anyone have any suggestions how to help?

by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Noise cancelling headphones?

My son eats in the special ed classroom. He didn't eat the first day of school in the cafeteria. He is attempting the cafeteria again today. We'll see what happens.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Noise canceling head phones?
princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Thank you both. I mentioned that to the teacher and am waiting to hear back from her. Where could I buy some?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM

These ladies have some good ideas...hugs!

dawncs
by Dawn on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Have you thought of earphones or asking for a quieter spot for him to eat lunch? Lunchrooms tend to be busy and quite loud at times.  Most schools do not enforce a quiet lunchroom policy at lunchtime.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM

I agree on the head phones, and maybe a table on one side rather than middle of the comotion.

NatureMomof3
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Vic Firth kidphones can be purchased on amazon

We have 3 -- one for school, one for van, and one for home -- my kid could not function without them
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:10 AM

I was going to suggest headphones...we actually had discussed that when my son was younger, because all that noise freaked him out! I also think the transition has somthing to do with it, but in the meantime, why not see if the headphones help him or for him to be able to eat in a quiet classroom opposed to the lunchroom?

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:47 AM

If he can't take loud noises it is a red flag for Central Auditory Processing Disorder.  I have CAPD and have the same difficulties anywhere there is loud noise.  I wear Musical Ear Lobes that filter out the loud noise.  Only specialized audiologists that diagnose CAPD sell them.  Insurance will not pay for them.

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Look on Amazon.com. That is where I bought Logan's equipment. There are many models to choose from.

Quoting princess_1983:

Thank you both. I mentioned that to the teacher and am waiting to hear back from her. Where could I buy some?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN