Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does Sugar Cause Stimming?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM
  • 12 Replies

DS had his fourth birthday this month, and he wanted to get a frosted cookie.  After he ate it, he was terrified of the balloons we had blown up for him, terrified of sticks and terrified of the strings on his bedding.  We have not seen these fears in months.  After about an hour, he was playing with the balloons again. I was thinking that maybe all the sugar he had (we don't normally give him much sugar, if any) made it harder for him to calm his fears.  

Has anyone else had an experience like this? 

by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I haven't had any experience with that but good luck!  Hugs!

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Sorry, no experience. Hugs!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:54 PM

No, have not had that.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Yes. My daughter is pretty sensitive to sugar. Not quite to the extreme you're saying ..... but she does get more sugar than she should on a regular basis.

But the week I made a fondant cake, the day I was working with the fondant, she kept swiping pieces and eating them before I could stop her. Pretty soon she was cranky and easily aggitated. She had a meltdown when I attempted to put her in the car and very rarely does she fight getting in the car. Then she repeatedly kicked the seat on the car trip and she never does that. She also refused to eat foods she normally would .... she just kept trying to hold out for more sugar.

Her behaviors didn't go away as quick as your son's, but my daughter did have to process a considerable amount of sugar. She wasn't back to normal til almost 2 days later.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Sounds like the could be a link there for your son. I would look into it more. 

Simran81
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Havent experienced that.

applethyme
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Was there any artificial coloring with the sugar?  Some kids react badley to that. 

Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:42 PM
No but I get that way after dairy so why not. Remember each autistic is different. Go with it or even try it again and see what happens.
KristleKlear
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:20 AM

I'm sure there was artificial coloring in the frosting....I will have to pay more attention to that, thanks!

Quoting applethyme:

Was there any artificial coloring with the sugar?  Some kids react badley to that. 

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't have that reaction to sugar but if Logz has too much sugar, he breaks out with a yeast infection in his diaper area and up his back. He has also ended up with thrush twice from sugar. He is not on a sugar free diet but we only allow minimal sugar intake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN