Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Contamination OCD in Child with ASD

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:58 AM
  • 11 Replies

HI!  My son's new thing is having contamination problems....  Neko is a 4 year old little smarty pants with moderate HF ASD.  For a few months now we've been progressively noticing him having problems with contamination.  I myself am diagnosed with OCD, though my area is more in mental planning with SOME contamination, but I don't think it's noticable to him (I don't sit on lawn chairs, don't touch dirt, shower after visiting anywhere smokey, or where someone HAS smoked, etc)... so I don't think he's learning this from me since he is different with his "symptoms"... if he sees animal hair on the floor (which I sweep 1 to 2 times a day already!), he will not let his feet touch that area... in the bathroom he puts a towel down or puts one foot on the rug and puts one on our wall so he doesn't have touch touch anywhere he sees hair.. in the tub he wont sit down because it's dirty, because he played in the sand outside and sand got on the bottom of the tub BEFORE i rinsed the tub and filled it up...  wont eat off a plate he ate off of earlier if there's a crumb left on it (i usually give him dry cereal a few times a day and if he sees cereal "dust" he wont go near the bowl after even though it's still "Clean")...  Is this normal for our children to go through? I don't think I've ever met a 4 year old so concerned with germs... last week I had a sinus infection, and was coughing and he told me not to touch him because I would get him sick!  Anyway! thank you for the input, it's very well appreciated!

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

People can fear what they do not understand. He probably came in contact with something that talked about germs/dirt and terrible sickness and/or death. Do you have a Children's Museum that has a good section on the body and immune system. Take him to it along with books on the same subject. Make him an "expert" on what is safe and what is not. I would not let this fester too long. A dopamine friendly diet and lifestyle (http://www.4mylearn.org/dopamineFriendly.html) can reduce anxiety and increase a sense of well being for both of you.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Above comment is good!  Hugs and good luck!

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi there! I haven't seen you on Cafemom in ages :) I don't have any advice, I kind of have the same problem :/ ... just wanted to say hello! 

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM

that's what i'm so afraid of!  I know my OCD can get in the way of some things and I don't want that for him!  I will look at that link too, I really want to be proactive so this wont hold him back or become a new "obsession" with him... maybe his new teacher can help us too with it!  I thought he was just being "silly" at first but it's been becoming more offen and with more things now and not so "silly" anymore :(

Quoting MamaLauri:

People can fear what they do not understand. He probably came in contact with something that talked about germs/dirt and terrible sickness and/or death. Do you have a Children's Museum that has a good section on the body and immune system. Take him to it along with books on the same subject. Make him an "expert" on what is safe and what is not. I would not let this fester too long. A dopamine friendly diet and lifestyle (http://www.4mylearn.org/dopamineFriendly.html) can reduce anxiety and increase a sense of well being for both of you.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM

HI!  YES it's been TOO long!!!  Probably over a year since my last stand of posting :/  Things got so crazy last summer and I just took a break :/  I'm back now, hopefully for good this time!  I really need and love the support this group offers :)  Last summer we finally got Nekos official dx in Albany, and then again months later closer to home in Syracuse, NY... and we're working on our daughter right now who has a mild speech apraxia/ pragmatic problems, language delay, and possible autism... been SO overwhelmed :/  They're supposed to retest Amy when she turns 3 to see if adding speech therapy to her SEIT and OT helps her with self coping and to get out of repetative behaviors, and with her aggression- they said theres another test they can do when she's a little older that will specifically look at Autism Markers, where the last time we went a few months ago was more because of her speech at the time so we could get her into services -- they refused speech through EI because her receptive is SO good and her IQ is "too high"- made her scores too high even though she has virtually no expressive language :/  I'm thankful we took her to get diagnosed because we finally are able to receive speech for her now <3

Quoting lady_katie:

Hi there! I haven't seen you on Cafemom in ages :) I don't have any advice, I kind of have the same problem :/ ... just wanted to say hello! 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:11 PM

I wish I had some advice for you my friend but Ashton is the complete opposite..he is the messiest kid I know and when he was that age I had to keep his hands out of the toilet and keep him from eating soggy French fries off the ground at McDonald's :/ none of my kids are neat at all...or fear germs..they embrace germs. I have a friend who has OCD and she had to have counseling to help her through it, I really feel for her. Big hugs to you and Neko!

Simran81
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I dont know whether it is OCD but my 3.5 year old wont touch food at times cause crumbs touch his hand, wont wash hands cause they get wet(he says they get dirty if he washes), needs his plate clean (no crumbs), if a drop of water falls on his clothes he needs to change, etc.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:31 PM

YES!  All of these are like Neko too... and as an adult it would definitely be considered OCD, though I am not sure on child "rules" for the dx-- I do not even know if children ARE diagnosed with it and I even took Abnormal Psych to learn that kind of thing last semester (i wanted to learn more about my ASD tendincies and my OCD to try and cope better, especially with handling changes and confronting things that are hard for me to do, like taking a bath, sitting on a chair outside, drinking from a cup that had something than water in it even though it was rinsed out, etc)... they didn't mention children under the OCD section of the class though, but I know when I look at them together, OCD and ASD do tend to overlap, I wonder if there's a connection between them.  I'm so nervous it will progressively get worse; I had a great-grandmother who was Schizophrenic.. another reason I took Ab. Psych.. and she was severely OCD, to the point of no one could touch ANYTHING of hers, or near her, and she also most likely had Autism, though at the time they focused much more on the Schizophrenia-- I know how bad it can get and I don't want it for me or him... I've been doing ERP- exposure with response pervention-- for a few months now and its hard but it helps... but I know it's a little unrealistic to expect Neko to be able to go through that kind of therapy when he already has issues coping... at least I have better mechanisms in place :/  Good luck with your LO with some of these things too!! <3

Quoting Simran81:

I dont know whether it is OCD but my 3.5 year old wont touch food at times cause crumbs touch his hand, wont wash hands cause they get wet(he says they get dirty if he washes), needs his plate clean (no crumbs), if a drop of water falls on his clothes he needs to change, etc.

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Liam doesn't like dirt and stuff out if place either. Like, I have to remove a strand of my hair from the tub before he will get in. (I shed like crazy!)
This summer I bought him the cutest lego crocs and he was dragging the toes which made a mark on them so he refused to wear them. I was so mad (they cost more money than I'd typically spend on his shoes). Finally I was able to get him to wear them again after I told him I fixed them. Or something. Can't remember what did it for him. But it was annoying. lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simran81
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 3:00 AM

My DH has some of the tendencies.When we got married he would clean everything himself, like if I clean the kitchen, he would go and do it again cause he would feel I havent done it properly. But now he has adjusted. Once we had a kid he is ok with some mess in the  house though he spends lot of time cleaning. DH wants his stuff separate and doesnt appreciate me doing things for him like ironing his clothes cause he would want it done in a particular way. I feel as DS grows he will outgrow these behaviors and they will be replaced by more constructive ones. Our kids might get over these things as they grow...lets hope for the best!

Quoting takeitall13:

YES!  All of these are like Neko too... and as an adult it would definitely be considered OCD, though I am not sure on child "rules" for the dx-- I do not even know if children ARE diagnosed with it and I even took Abnormal Psych to learn that kind of thing last semester (i wanted to learn more about my ASD tendincies and my OCD to try and cope better, especially with handling changes and confronting things that are hard for me to do, like taking a bath, sitting on a chair outside, drinking from a cup that had something than water in it even though it was rinsed out, etc)... they didn't mention children under the OCD section of the class though, but I know when I look at them together, OCD and ASD do tend to overlap, I wonder if there's a connection between them.  I'm so nervous it will progressively get worse; I had a great-grandmother who was Schizophrenic.. another reason I took Ab. Psych.. and she was severely OCD, to the point of no one could touch ANYTHING of hers, or near her, and she also most likely had Autism, though at the time they focused much more on the Schizophrenia-- I know how bad it can get and I don't want it for me or him... I've been doing ERP- exposure with response pervention-- for a few months now and its hard but it helps... but I know it's a little unrealistic to expect Neko to be able to go through that kind of therapy when he already has issues coping... at least I have better mechanisms in place :/  Good luck with your LO with some of these things too!! <3

Quoting Simran81:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN