Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Sleeping Issues With My ASD son

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM
  • 31 Replies

My asd son is 2 and he has always had a problem with sleeping. When he does finally fall asleep it is only for a few hours. I have tried many different things to help him sleep. I have darkened the room at night, gave him a big conforter to sleep with, i make sure it is quiet( meaning no tv or music). I dont know what to do. 

Any suggestions?

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Melatonin and weighted blanket.

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

pretty much, maybe some soft music, or one of those lights that make motion on the ceiling 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
chrissara1011
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:02 PM
When my daughter would not sleep through the night we found out she was actually having seizure's. Not trying to scare just make sure there is not a medical reason for it b4 you chalk it up to insomnia.
Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Yeah a weighted blanket does wonders. I can't sleep without one.
AsthonsMOM
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM

What are the signs to look for? I will put him in his room and lay him down and tell him its bed time. Kiss him, hug and tell him goodnight. and then for the next couple hours, he will try to get out of his room.( we have a baby gate in the door way), he will play with toys or he will try to get his brother up, or keep him up. 

Quoting chrissara1011: When my daughter would not sleep through the night we found out she was actually having seizure's. Not trying to scare just make sure there is not a medical reason for it b4 you chalk it up to insomnia.

AsthonsMOM
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I have not tried the melatonin. I heard it works on some kids but not on all of them. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I have not tried it yet either, but so many parents I know have been very successful.  I would like to try it on my daughter, but she has sleep apnea so they don't want her sleep too deep.  Maybe if we fully get that resolved we'll try it.

Quoting AsthonsMOM:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I have not tried the melatonin. I heard it works on some kids but not on all of them. 

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM
I have epliepsy, it could be hard to see the signs in a child with asd, based on where they fall on the spectrum.

Basic signs
Disorianted , confusing

There are seizures without full body shakes (I have both kinds)

Eyes can dart back and forth like they are twitching but you will notice a blankness in eyes.

Depending on his asd level you could request a sleep study, to rule this out. But he'd have to be ok with the machine. And wires. On his head

Quoting AsthonsMOM:

What are the signs to look for? I will put him in his room and lay him down and tell him its bed time. Kiss him, hug and tell him goodnight. and then for the next couple hours, he will try to get out of his room.( we have a baby gate in the door way), he will play with toys or he will try to get his brother up, or keep him up. 

Quoting chrissara1011: When my daughter would not sleep through the night we found out she was actually having seizure's. Not trying to scare just make sure there is not a medical reason for it b4 you chalk it up to insomnia.

chrissara1011
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Actually that sounds more like testing boundaries. Melatonin works good give t to him and hour to 2 hours b4 bed. Start off with 1 mg and add a mg every night until u find his dose. I wouldn't go over 5-6 mg without consulting the Dr though

Quoting AsthonsMOM:

AsthonsMOM
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Honestly I am scared to try it, because i dont know what honeslty is going on in his brain. If it would do anything.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I have not tried it yet either, but so many parents I know have been very successful.  I would like to try it on my daughter, but she has sleep apnea so they don't want her sleep too deep.  Maybe if we fully get that resolved we'll try it.

Quoting AsthonsMOM:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN