Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I need advice or some kind of information

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM
  • 15 Replies
So my son is 18months old, he's seriously the sweetest little man ever, he's always had quirks about him, some of it we joked about stemming from me or dad and other we just thought he enjoyed being a "baby" but the older he got I realized he wasn't progressing, well Monday he had his 18 month well check and we took the m-chat and another questionnaire, he is delayed in all areas but mainly speech, which I knew but the dr also said he was "borderline autistic" she gave me a referral for a speech evaluation and told me someone from a early start program would call for home visits but that's it.. She didn't saying else, we did talk about his delays and that's it. I of course googled some stuff and it looks like borderline autistic isn't really something people use, I'm just curious as to how the process goes?? Was I suppose to call someone else or do I just wait for the early start people? I do realize he could be ok and not have autism but I know he's delayed in speech and communication all together I never thought i would have a situation like this but I guess I thought there would be immediate help?? Idk. any advice?clarifications?? anything??
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:59 PM
First of all, the MCHAT has a high false positive rate. That said, it's better to be on the safe side and and look closely even it it turns out to be nothing more than a speech delay.

As far as the early start ppl go, feel free to call them yourself. Parents can self refer. By law, they only have so many days from the time you call until when they have to have the child evaluated with a plan in place. My state is 45 days I think. What state are you in?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamanay041010
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:08 AM
I'm in DC

I did read that the M-chat has some false positives also

I was curious if I could call, I have the number but was worried it would somehow mess up whatever was in motion.
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Nah, I'd probably just call but that's me. You can wait if you want to. Or call the dr office and ask them exactly how it works and what to expect.

Another option would be to call yourself and say: I think my dr office is calling but I'm calling too.

Keep us updated!

Quoting mamanay041010: I'm in DC

I did read that the M-chat has some false positives also

I was curious if I could call, I have the number but was worried it would somehow mess up whatever was in motion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamanay041010
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:45 AM
I think I'm going to do that because I want to know what to expect. Thanks so much for the advice!! I'll let you know what happens!
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:01 AM

As you know, the parent is answering the questions and I think it's hard for us to honestly assess them in most areas. We may not see what others do or not see them as bad as others.

But you DO see something and as far as speech or other delays, he qualifies for Early Intervention Services so start there!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:00 AM

From my experience it takes more than one symptom to diagnose a child.  I'm surprized the doctor didn't follow through with you on your next step.  As your child's advocate go through with contacting early start.

MamaLauri
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Babies with brain architectures that are later labeled ASD, start out with decreased interest in humans (due to differences in dopamine and systems it is connected to, including mirror neurons, the "imitation neurons"). This leads to less learning from other humans, a huge part of our human learning system. This is only a tendency and can be increased by explicit activities of loving knowledgeable humans (adults, kids, sometimes with the help of pets).

The sequence is: loving human connects/bonds, then teaches to imitate, and then teaches joint attention. It sounds like you are well on your way with connecting and bonding.

Many kids end up with sensory integration challenges for 2 main reasons: the dopamine differences lead to physical coordination challenges, and babies start out with their sensory pathways merged together to allow for multi-sensory recognition of their parents and environment and they do not know what sensory information is safe to ignore, but with time and experience the sensory systems usually separate and we learn to ignore 99% of our senses (you do not feel your clothes or pay attention to background noise or lites). Most of this is learned from interacting with other people. So ASD kids frequently learn much less of this, and have sensory overload. They must be explicitly taught what is safe to ignore. Hope this helps.

tictacmama
by Arlea on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:23 AM
I think what your doctor was trying to say is that he has "red flags" or early warning signs for autism. I agree with the ladies, early start is a good place to start. Try not to get to worried about it right now (I know, not easy) and just focus on getting help for your baby.
Good luck! 😊
mamatoo4
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:33 AM
I hate to be the one to tell you this but you're just starting the process and it is long. The other ladies are right call early on. They do have a requirement to follow up in so many days so keep track and on top of them. He is young so they may focuse on his delays and put off any kind of hard autisum diagnosis. But that's OK because being so young he would start off with the same interventions. Probbably speech maybe ot. The important thing is he starts some kind of intervention. Then you will slowly learn step by step what's next what to do at home etc. The process is both frustrating and long. We're all here for you. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Hang in three :)
mamanay041010
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:10 PM
He has a few things that are a bit out of the norm, he does have repetitive behaviors and lacks imaginative play, I sometimes think I could justify those things but he cannot say more than about five words.

Quoting emarin77:

From my experience it takes more than one symptom to diagnose a child.  I'm surprized the doctor didn't follow through with you on your next step.  As your child's advocate go through with contacting early start.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN