Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Ice bucket challenge?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Jen
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this
Did you do it? Did your kids?

Too bad something like this (and by that I mean so wildly popular) can't be done for each and every charity/cause. Like autism. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:35 AM

NO and NO. There are so many things wrong with that challenge. I think it's ridiculous. And one of the things is what you're saying ..... there are so many causes out there, many that affect a whole lot more people that AREN'T getting even the usual amount of attention due to the ice bucket challenge.

I have a friend who's dying from type 1 diabetes and he did the dang ice bucket challenge ..... I told him he should stand up and say I'm doing something for myself! Yes it's good to think of others .... but this thing has turned into "being cool" and showing that you're a good person on social media, whether you really are or not. Ugh. Sorry. I just hate it. I hate "popular" things. I want to do something because I want to do it, not because it will make me cool ..... and I don't tell the world through social media who I've donated money to.

GenericNameHere
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this
My friend marie did it. She said in her video that she was donating to an autism fund because of her boys. Many of jet family and friends are doing the same
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this
No, I managed to avoid that one! It did raise my awareness of ALS though. I knew nothing about it what so ever before, now I know a little, so I guess it's working.

The only thing that gets to me is not with the challenge itself, but rather with my friends and family who are willing to dump a bucket of ice water on their own head for a disability that doesn't affect anyone they know, but they can't be bothered to support us with our struggles with autism in ANY way. I understand that supporting ALS is the cool thing to do right now, and that's great, but really? Every minute of our lives revolve around a different disability, at least pick up the phone and ask if we're alright once in awhile if you're willing to do THAT for strangers.
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM
To be honest, I was kind of annoyed at it myself. I guess the only thing I enjoyed from it was seeing videos of friends I haven't spoken to in 20 years and hearing their voices. That was cool.

But then people were just doing it left and right and I wondered if they were even donating. It was my understanding that you donated $100 or dump the water on yourself and donated $10. I saw people just dumping the water because they thought that was all there was to it - dare your friends to dump water on themselves. And that was the part that annoyed me the most.

I don't mean to be a negative Nelly because I know ALS did receive tons of money and that is great. But there are still so many other needy and worthwhile organizations out there. (Maybe if the challenge was to donate $100 to your favorite charity then more would have benefitted. Idk)

One friend did it but made it clear that his charity was for MS and invited friends to come walk with him at the MS walk.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

NO and NO. There are so many things wrong with that challenge. I think it's ridiculous. And one of the things is what you're saying ..... there are so many causes out there, many that affect a whole lot more people that AREN'T getting even the usual amount of attention due to the ice bucket challenge.

I have a friend who's dying from type 1 diabetes and he did the dang ice bucket challenge ..... I told him he should stand up and say I'm doing something for myself! Yes it's good to think of others .... but this thing has turned into "being cool" and showing that you're a good person on social media, whether you really are or not. Ugh. Sorry. I just hate it. I hate "popular" things. I want to do something because I want to do it, not because it will make me cool ..... and I don't tell the world through social media who I've donated money to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM
That is COOL!

Quoting GenericNameHere: My friend marie did it. She said in her video that she was donating to an autism fund because of her boys. Many of jet family and friends are doing the same
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM
YES!!! I hear ya!

Quoting lady_katie: No, I managed to avoid that one! It did raise my awareness of ALS though. I knew nothing about it what so ever before, now I know a little, so I guess it's working.

The only thing that gets to me is not with the challenge itself, but rather with my friends and family who are willing to dump a bucket of ice water on their own head for a disability that doesn't affect anyone they know, but they can't be bothered to support us with our struggles with autism in ANY way. I understand that supporting ALS is the cool thing to do right now, and that's great, but really? Every minute of our lives revolve around a different disability, at least pick up the phone and ask if we're alright once in awhile if you're willing to do THAT for strangers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I was challenged. Nope, didn't do it. One...yes, I feel sorry for people with ALS, but I don't even know anyone who has it. Also, All my friends and family who did it just dumped ice cold water on their heads without donating to ALS. And two, if I donate to something, it's gonna be something that affects me...like autism. I don't want to donate to something because that's what everyone else is doing and I'm being told to do this or that. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I heard something did start for ASD, pie in the eye I think.  

WarriorMum
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I hear you Katie!

For the past few weeks I have seen nothing but Ice challenges on my feed. It began, in my eyes at 'hey something good is going to come out of this', to becoming very frustrated, even angry at my family members. I'm surprised I have a tongue left from all the biting I have had to do.
My sister, who lives 10 minutes away from me, hasn't called to see me in nearly 2  years because she is 'too busy' yet here I am with a rarer form of MND called Primary Lateral Sclerosis. A sister disease of ALS. yet, there she is all over Fb with her Ice bucket challenge! She will be the same one who plasters her feed with Autsim awareness yet has not spent one day, nevermind even babysitting him, in nearly 20 years,with her Godson. So yep, Katie, I know exactly where you are coming from....

Quoting lady_katie: No, I managed to avoid that one! It did raise my awareness of ALS though. I knew nothing about it what so ever before, now I know a little, so I guess it's working. The only thing that gets to me is not with the challenge itself, but rather with my friends and family who are willing to dump a bucket of ice water on their own head for a disability that doesn't affect anyone they know, but they can't be bothered to support us with our struggles with autism in ANY way. I understand that supporting ALS is the cool thing to do right now, and that's great, but really? Every minute of our lives revolve around a different disability, at least pick up the phone and ask if we're alright once in awhile if you're willing to do THAT for strangers.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Oh man, that's rough! *hugs*

Quoting WarriorMum:

I hear you Katie!

For the past few weeks I have seen nothing but Ice challenges on my feed. It began, in my eyes at 'hey something good is going to come out of this', to becoming very frustrated, even angry at my family members. I'm surprised I have a tongue left from all the biting I have had to do. My sister, who lives 10 minutes away from me, hasn't called to see me in nearly 2  years because she is 'too busy' yet here I am with a rarer form of MND called Primary Lateral Sclerosis. A sister disease of ALS. yet, there she is all over Fb with her Ice bucket challenge! She will be the same one who plasters her feed with Autsim awareness yet has not spent one day, nevermind even babysitting him, in nearly 20 years,with her Godson. So yep, Katie, I know exactly where you are coming from....

Quoting lady_katie: No, I managed to avoid that one! It did raise my awareness of ALS though. I knew nothing about it what so ever before, now I know a little, so I guess it's working.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN