Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does Your Child Do This?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:50 AM
  • 17 Replies

Mobile Photo

I swear my son can sense a "bad" person. The other day were at the playground & this woman comes strolling by & starts chatting with me. I don't want to be rude so I was I was engaging in a conversation. My son was on the monkey bars,he looks down at this lady & starts screaming "BYE BYE BYE"to this woman. It was then that I noticed this woman was drunk or something. Anyway this woman started screaming back at my son telling him he's rude. Of course I cut her off & told her he has autism & to back off. As soon as she heard that she felt like sh*t & apologized. Now I know what my son did was rude & he needs to learn that you don't just inturpt people & basically tell them to get lost. But I thought it was pretty cool that he immediately new something was up with this lady & didn't want her near his mama. Then I thought maybe he was jeolous. But he never acts like that when I'm talking to other adults or kids at the playground. I really feel like he sensed she was trouble. Maybe he smelled the alcohol on her? I don't know, but what I do know is the older my son gets the more amazing he gets. I mean our kids can be sensative to light, noise & smell, so why not intuition? Do your kids sense when something just doesn't seem right?
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
For me, I tend to really notice when people are not being genuine. This just adds to the social difficulties though because socializing often involves saying things that you do not mean ("let me know if you need anything!"), so I can't always differentiate between good people who are not genuine for social purposes only, or people who are sincerely full of crap :/ I tend to just feel like everyone is full of crap because I can't make sense of anyone ever saying something they don't mean.
mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Not my son. I mean, he has always given every single person the benefit of doubt. He never seems to notice when people are not being nice to him. And he will argue with me that I am wrong if I tell him. There was a kid at his school that he loved. He talked about him daily. Only that kid didn't like him and wouldn't play with him. We had behavior experts observe my son and they confirmed this. They said the kid even tried to get my son in trouble on purpose. What a twerp! But my son kept on, thinking they were best friends.

Another time we were at the park and my kids were playing with a little boy who had all sorts of issues. I know this because I was talking with his grandma (she had custody) and this kid had some major emotional problems. Anyway on the way home my dd was crying because of the things that boy had said to her. He told her she likes to drink blood. I was trying to explain that he has issues and my son was like: no I think he was just confused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Awe I'm sorry that boy was mean to your son. (((Hugs)))

Quoting mypbandj: Not my son. I mean, he has always given every single person the benefit of doubt. He never seems to notice when people are not being nice to him. And he will argue with me that I am wrong if I tell him. There was a kid at his school that he loved. He talked about him daily. Only that kid didn't like him and wouldn't play with him. We had behavior experts observe my son and they confirmed this. They said the kid even tried to get my son in trouble on purpose. What a twerp! But my son kept on, thinking they were best friends.

Another time we were at the park and my kids were playing with a little boy who had all sorts of issues. I know this because I was talking with his grandma (she had custody) and this kid had some major emotional problems. Anyway on the way home my dd was crying because of the things that boy had said to her. He told her she likes to drink blood. I was trying to explain that he has issues and my son was like: no I think he was just confused.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes that's actually hard for me too. Except I'm the opposite. I tend to think everyone is good & not full of it. Which has landed me in some bad reletionships.

Quoting lady_katie: For me, I tend to really notice when people are not being genuine. This just adds to the social difficulties though because socializing often involves saying things that you do not mean ("let me know if you need anything!"), so I can't always differentiate between good people who are not genuine for social purposes only, or people who are sincerely full of crap :/ I tend to just feel like everyone is full of crap because I can't make sense of anyone ever saying something they don't mean.
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
That's my husband. He thinks that everyone is so great and wonderful all the time. I've seen him get teased by nasty teenagers on two occasions and he had no idea! He tells me that he had a great high school experience. Somehow I doubt it was actually great, just his perception of it, which I guess isn't a bad thing since he's happy with it.

Quoting wildchild.com: Yes that's actually hard for me too. Except I'm the opposite. I tend to think everyone is good & not full of it. Which has landed me in some bad reletionships.

Quoting lady_katie: For me, I tend to really notice when people are not being genuine. This just adds to the social difficulties though because socializing often involves saying things that you do not mean ("let me know if you need anything!"), so I can't always differentiate between good people who are not genuine for social purposes only, or people who are sincerely full of crap :/ I tend to just feel like everyone is full of crap because I can't make sense of anyone ever saying something they don't mean.
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

No and yes. He doesn't like loud people... Which I also find annoying lol if there's someone he doesn't want to be around he lets me know, and we usually do..

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
This is going to sound crazy, but I often think my son can read minds. My mind in particular.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope not crazy at all! Sometimes I swear my son can too!

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid: This is going to sound crazy, but I often think my son can read minds. My mind in particular.
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Sometimes I think the same of my son. He has what I call social signals. But he doesn't know any social rules. Let me explain. Sometimes he will hide behind me when around them sometimes he will go up to someone and keep saying hi, but keeping his distance. And other people, he will automatically run up to them and give a hug. I notice that the people he hides from aren't very good people. I really aren't sure but acted the different ways in the same day.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Could be their senses are heightened.

Quoting Nickmom1118: Sometimes I think the same of my son. He has what I call social signals. But he doesn't know any social rules. Let me explain. Sometimes he will hide behind me when around them sometimes he will go up to someone and keep saying hi, but keeping his distance. And other people, he will automatically run up to them and give a hug. I notice that the people he hides from aren't very good people. I really aren't sure but acted the different ways in the same day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN