Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

an interesting bedtime routine that finally works!

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

as of recently Izzy has had a really hard time sleeping.. getting to sleep, staying alseep etc. so the past few days we started a  new routine and it worked so well I thought id share :)

step 1: about 35 minutes before bed, we give her a bubble bath with lavender and chamomile bubble bath. (wash up then soak)

step 2: after bath we dry her off and rub her whole body with lavender lotion (including rubbing a little on the tip of her nose so the aroma stays close by)

step 3. we give her vanilla sleepy time tea with 6.5 mg of melatonin. takes about 15 minutes to drink the tea. toilet and brush teeth, and off to bed :D

she has NEVER gone to bed without screaming for tv, and since we have started this, she is out within minutes of putting her to bed :D

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 24, 2014 at 5:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Love hearing this...so glad you found what works for you!

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Sep. 24, 2014 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I am so glad you found something that is effective. We Moms have to get so clever when dealing with problem behaviors.

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Sounds wonderful. After 30 days, try reducing or getting rid of the melatonin. It should not be given for more than 30 days without doctor's supervision/recommendation. The routine might be well established by then.

only_1_4_me
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Quoting MamaLauri:

Sounds wonderful. After 30 days, try reducing or getting rid of the melatonin. It should not be given for more than 30 days without doctor's supervision/recommendation. The routine might be well established by then.

the melatonin is given under doctors recommendation. she has been on it for 4 years. I would love just the routine itself to help her go to sleep and stay asleep, but she suffers from some insomnia. (she cannot go to sleep without some type of assitance). If the routine/melatonin stop working, and we get up to 7 mg a day of melatonin (she unfortunaly is at 6.5 right now), we have to call and he will prescribe her clonadine (which honestly im terrified to do, since there are so many more risk factors invovled with such a medication). Im hoping the insomnia portion is something she will eventually outgrow! and hey maybe if we are lucky you are right and the routine will have good habit forming and she will be able to just use the routine! heres to hoping!  :)

teaandcookies
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I grow lavender, and on night when my son cant sleep, cut a few stems and put his blanket in the dryer with it. 

Be careful with the melitonin, after 5 or6 days it can cause the reverse effects and they won't be able to get to slepp.

only_1_4_me
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Quoting teaandcookies:

I grow lavender, and on night when my son cant sleep, cut a few stems and put his blanket in the dryer with it. 

Be careful with the melitonin, after 5 or6 days it can cause the reverse effects and they won't be able to get to slepp.

lavender is an amazing "relaxation" tool! I almost thought about buying her some lavender perfume for the day time :) she has been on melatonin for 4 years now. I am not ready for the alternative just yet, and hoping it wont get there :)

ddsunshine
by on Sep. 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I had to buy a plug in that has lavender and chamomile oil in it and plug it in my son's room and we bought lien spray to calm him as well.
emarin77
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2014 at 4:48 PM

That is what we did for my son without the tea or medication when he was a baby.

only_1_4_me
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Quoting emarin77:

That is what we did for my son without the tea or medication when he was a baby.

we did that for her (like you minus the tea and meds) as a baby as well... though we figured we would give it a shot as part of the routine now that shes older and happy to see it still works :) there are a few things still quite infantile about my daughter.. there are days (more than not) that she has us feed her or she wont eat (its not behavioral, its a mindset thing) and the bedtime routine among a few other things... its very strange that some things for her are spot on or age and others are so young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)