Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Last major meltdown

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM
  • 21 Replies

What was your child's last major meltdown? What was it about? Did you predict it coming?

Jonathan's last major meltdown at school was with his OT. She came in to give him therapy right when the kids were moving from the table to free play. He began screaming and threw her stuff and kept slapping his hands on the table. He refused to do anything she wanted that day. As his mom hearing this second hand I could have predicted this would happen. He was being taken away from a preferred thing after already doing a nonpreferred task. No warning, no countdown, just the OT coming in to make him do another nonpreferred task. When the teacher told me about this and asked what to do about these situations I told her "stay firm, make him pick up each item on the floor and place it in the OT's hand, have him take a deep breath, and continue on with the therapy. that it's his way of stopping a nonpreferred task even if it's only for a minute or two."

The last major meltdown at home was over the IPAD. I saw it coming. The battery was dying and I was praying he would get through the alphabet before it did. It died on the letter T. He went into complete meltdown screaming and slapping his hand. He couldn't complete his pattern so he was upset. I got him calm and gave him my phone. He finished the alphabet and was fine after that.

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:29 AM
It was last night when he figured out that all his recorded shows were gone (the cable guy had to replace our DVR box).
He seriously was crying till midnight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Macphee
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM
It was last Wednesday. Something happened between getting off the bus and going to class. It was storming the night before, no sleep. He also bumped his ear, which was swollen and bruised. Terrible sensory issues with his ear.

9-230 total meltdown, nonstop, screaming to the point of tension headaches. He was taken outside for a break.
akaGLIA
by Vicki on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Hi Brenda,
You can read my long journey with my son, now 25 and fantastic! Sounds like you, and the school he is at, are not implementing transition strategies. They should know better by now, but some teachers who interact with Autistic children are poorly trained. It is essential to think outside the box, and when they/you find the best transition strategy for your son, make them implement it at every transition. Sounds like you have been falling back onto captivating electronic entertainment. The main problem with this, is that it does not train him to interact with the real environment around him, and actually further isolates him from the real people in the room (unless you help him become Thomas the Train, you can be Henry, putting on a play as he watches the show). It is essential to try to find something that he will obsess about, in the time and space he is living in. The transition that worked well in grade school for my son. Order, predictability, all the children lined up in the same order every day, from bathroom break, special ed kids at the back of the line, Special Ed teachers heading up their section. My sons group followed the Speech and Language Teacher who had small treats in hand, which he knew started his session with her, every day:-)

Quoting JTMOM422:

What was your child's last major meltdown? What was it about? Did you predict it coming?

Jonathan's last major meltdown at school was with his OT. She came in to give him therapy right when the kids were moving from the table to free play. He began screaming and threw her stuff and kept slapping his hands on the table. He refused to do anything she wanted that day. As his mom hearing this second hand I could have predicted this would happen. He was being taken away from a preferred thing after already doing a nonpreferred task. No warning, no countdown, just the OT coming in to make him do another nonpreferred task. When the teacher told me about this and asked what to do about these situations I told her "stay firm, make him pick up each item on the floor and place it in the OT's hand, have him take a deep breath, and continue on with the therapy. that it's his way of stopping a nonpreferred task even if it's only for a minute or two."

The last major meltdown at home was over the IPAD. I saw it coming. The battery was dying and I was praying he would get through the alphabet before it did. It died on the letter T. He went into complete meltdown screaming and slapping his hand. He couldn't complete his pattern so he was upset. I got him calm and gave him my phone. He finished the alphabet and was fine after that.

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:04 PM

On Friday, Logan had a meltdown at school - throwing himself on the ground. He was covered in bruises. Teacher reports no warning, no trigger identified, and they had to medicate him. Will this ever end?

banging head into wall

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Oh man! I bet that broke his heart. My daughter gets upset if our netflix goes out

Quoting mypbandj: It was last night when he figured out that all his recorded shows were gone (the cable guy had to replace our DVR box). He seriously was crying till midnight.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Glad to hear that they are giving him the breaks when he needs it at school. My son's teacher has brought out the trampoline a few times lately and found that it helps when he is over stimulated

Quoting Macphee: It was last Wednesday. Something happened between getting off the bus and going to class. It was storming the night before, no sleep. He also bumped his ear, which was swollen and bruised. Terrible sensory issues with his ear. 9-230 total meltdown, nonstop, screaming to the point of tension headaches. He was taken outside for a break.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has an obsession with letters and numbers. He writes them, builds them out of anything and if need be draws them in the air. The day of the IPAD meltdown was his time. He was free to choose what he wanted to do and that was it. He does not have access to electronics all the time. I also agree that makes it difficult to teach interaction with people. We try to find activities that involve other kids for things such as turn taking and following.

As for the school I know she has a schedule board for my son. I just don't think the OT or SP people come in the same time. He only sees speech therapist once a week. The OT 2 times a month. I am not sure if the teacher knows they are coming until they come. Now that I am thinking about it I really should ask her the schedule for these 2 therapists.

I read your journey with you son and am so glad that you have joined the group. You sound as if you could give us ones with younger kids a lot of good information.

Quoting akaGLIA: Hi Brenda, You can read my long journey with my son, now 25 and fantastic! Sounds like you, and the school he is at, are not implementing transition strategies. They should know better by now, but some teachers who interact with Autistic children are poorly trained. It is essential to think outside the box, and when they/you find the best transition strategy for your son, make them implement it at every transition. Sounds like you have been falling back onto captivating electronic entertainment. The main problem with this, is that it does not train him to interact with the real environment around him, and actually further isolates him from the real people in the room (unless you help him become Thomas the Train, you can be Henry, putting on a play as he watches the show). It is essential to try to find something that he will obsess about, in the time and space he is living in. The transition that worked well in grade school for my son. Order, predictability, all the children lined up in the same order every day, from bathroom break, special ed kids at the back of the line, Special Ed teachers heading up their section. My sons group followed the Speech and Language Teacher who had small treats in hand, which he knew started his session with her, every day:-)
Quoting JTMOM422:

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Oh wow. I hope Logan is okay. It's hard when you don't have answers to what set things off. I hope it does end and he is able to take control of his meltdowns. Hugs momma

Quoting Logansmom1999:

On Friday, Logan had a meltdown at school - throwing himself on the ground. He was covered in bruises. Teacher reports no warning, no trigger identified, and they had to medicate him. Will this ever end?

banging head into wall

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Oh yeah, he was actually really heartbroken over it. 

Quoting JTMOM422:

Oh man! I bet that broke his heart. My daughter gets upset if our netflix goes out

Quoting mypbandj: It was last night when he figured out that all his recorded shows were gone (the cable guy had to replace our DVR box). He seriously was crying till midnight.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Hugs mama...Brady had a horrible day on Monday...I totally get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)