Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medical assistance and special Ed.

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM
  • 16 Replies
The special Ed teacher approached me today when I picked Nick up from preK. She said that the medical assistance requires her to tell me what service she provided last month and what she billed for. She said she worked on matching. Then said that she has to look at it more, but that she thinks they are now starting to require the parent to observe the service. So I would have to go to the class and see her working with him.

Has anyone ever heard of this?
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:17 PM

I've never heard of it, Nicole, but Dillon doesnt get any special services. But how inconvienient to make a parent be there! Who comes up with this stuff?

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM

What??.  Start over, I don't get it? 

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Ok, and part two...is this a service charged to Nicks Medicaid???  Like speech, OT, 1:1 aid?.  IF it is, and IF you signed they can bill Medicaid, they may need to inform you of the services/charges.  If that is the case and you don't want that, you can recind your approval for them to bill Medicaid for the services.  Services would not change as it is the schools job to pay for your child's educational needs.  That's the closest I can think of to what you listed.  I'd be asking more questions to what it is about.  Weird!

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:30 PM
I don't care if they bill Medicaid. I just thought it was weird. I knew they used the medicaid for speech, and OT. but was confused with the special Ed teacher billing them for what she works with him. I was just curious if anyone ever heard of it. She told me this as I was picking up and other parents were around. So, I just said ok. She said she had to check into it more. So I will be asking more questions when she gets back with me.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Ok, and part two...is this a service charged to Nicks Medicaid???  Like speech, OT, 1:1 aid?.  IF it is, and IF you signed they can bill Medicaid, they may need to inform you of the services/charges.  If that is the case and you don't want that, you can recind your approval for them to bill Medicaid for the services.  Services would not change as it is the schools job to pay for your child's educational needs.  That's the closest I can think of to what you listed.  I'd be asking more questions to what it is about.  Weird!

t1gger143
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:36 PM
As a special Ed teacher we do occasionally bill for services. It's almost like an incentive for the school to provide the service instead of a therapist. It's also not much. Teaching high school we don't bill often. If we do it's usually for a severe kid.
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:40 PM

I still would find it odd that even if parent approved Medicaid is the issue that you would be required to observe.  That makes no sense to me.  Parents do not even sit in on all Medicaid paid therapy sessions to see what goes on there.  Hopefully teacher just has something mixed up.  With as busy as our schedule is, I would not want to go in weekly to observe teachers working with my kids.  I don't have time for all that.  Hope you get more info.

Quoting Nickmom1118: I don't care if they bill Medicaid. I just thought it was weird. I knew they used the medicaid for speech, and OT. but was confused with the special Ed teacher billing them for what she works with him. I was just curious if anyone ever heard of it. She told me this as I was picking up and other parents were around. So, I just said ok. She said she had to check into it more. So I will be asking more questions when she gets back with me.
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

ko912
by Kathy on Oct. 16, 2014 at 12:44 AM
I know I have had to sign papers for the school to bill medicaid for testing. Never for a teacher to teach him. Makes no sense. I can understand speech and OT. Sometimes they are contracted out. I think I would have an issue if a teacher billed medicaid.
perrywinkle
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM

I think depends how the school is providing services. My sister is a PT who works at a day center with children of special needs. The center bills medicaid. She also contracts with schools and sometimes the children are on medicaid. In that case she also bills medicaid for those services. However, in no case does she ever require parents to observe the therapy. I think the teacher misread that.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2014 at 11:05 PM

no,and DS is 7yo ASD ,I want to observe him in class but never did,I thought I'd distract him.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 19, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Interesting...never heard of that before...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)