• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

shopping

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM
  • 13 Replies
I think all of us mommies would agree that shopping is a traumatic experience many times. I do wonder though what is developmentally appropriate for an 8 half year old in a grocery store. There are many things I wonder about because I dont have a nt son.

The biggest thing with micah today is that he could not/ would not hear and follow directions. He runs off letting his head hit every one of those random hanging items down each aisle. He could not stop from bothering his brother, thats obviously normal, but the way he just didnt hear me at all drove me nuts. Even when I got down in his face and spoke nice but firm he never listened. He would keep pulling away, looking around me, laughing at some unknown private joke.

I guess I should be excited that this time I didnt have to physically restrain anna and micah on opposite sides of the buggy and steer it with my elbow. Lol.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Does he received ABA. That seems like something they could help you work on.

Maybe you can start with short "teaching" trips to the store, where you already know that you won't be accomplishing anything besides teaching him how to behave in the store. Maybe you just want him to be able to walk with you, stay by the cart. You can show him how, make it short and sweet so he can be successful and then leave - but give him a reward. Do you think there is something he can get (like an m&m) that would help motivate him?

magmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM
He's able to pay attention and help if it's just him and me. When his brother's thrown in with him it's like they're both 3. He cant control himself any more than gabe.

It's hard because there usually is no motivation. Candy bar, coke, ice cream- all treats he loves, but it's like he's incapable of controlling it.

What is aba? We have a behavioral therapist we see 2x month. He's working on dealing with aggression with her.

Quoting mypbandj:

Does he received ABA. That seems like something they could help you work on.

Maybe you can start with short "teaching" trips to the store, where you already know that you won't be accomplishing anything besides teaching him how to behave in the store. Maybe you just want him to be able to walk with you, stay by the cart. You can show him how, make it short and sweet so he can be successful and then leave - but give him a reward. Do you think there is something he can get (like an m&m) that would help motivate him?

MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Nov. 5, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Mine loves to go shopping and will help hold the freezer door open for me, put the fruit/veggies in the bag, spin the fruit bag so I can tie it, put things in the conveyor belt and will swipe my debit/credit card, etc.  I LOVE to go shopping with her though she is sitting in the shopping cart and is now getting too big for it, so I guess we shall see once she is loose.  She does like to get a cookie first when we go to the larger grocery stores that offer them, which I dont mind since it keeps her busy for a bit.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 6:20 AM

This is why I always trtied to go shopping alone, lol, but I know that's not possible. Actually D has always been wonderful in a store, but my nt daughter was known to be a nightmare! I usually kept my list short and would either bring a favorite toy, promise a treat or have a nervouse breakdown if neither worked, lol!

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Nov. 5, 2014 at 6:50 AM

Logan loves to shop. Occasionally he will act out but we haven't discovered why so we can predict a tantrum. He likes to look at every toy but never asks for one. If he is good he gets a candy bar when we check out.

princess_1983
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 9:24 AM

My son is usually a good shopper but lately he has been running off and I have to chase after him.If he gets tired he will start running around the store too. Then I know it is time to leave.

magmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Lol. Sounds fun :)

Quoting MixedCooke:

Mine loves to go shopping and will help hold the freezer door open for me, put the fruit/veggies in the bag, spin the fruit bag so I can tie it, put things in the conveyor belt and will swipe my debit/credit card, etc.  I LOVE to go shopping with her though she is sitting in the shopping cart and is now getting too big for it, so I guess we shall see once she is loose.  She does like to get a cookie first when we go to the larger grocery stores that offer them, which I dont mind since it keeps her busy for a bit.

magmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Thats funny. Its my littlest one nt who antagonizes micah. And micah just cannot overcome it.

I try to go to the store when oldest 2 are in school and I only have gabe with me. We ALWAYS need milk though so I try to take them all with me on short milk and bread only runs. This time I just didnt plan my shopping day better.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

This is why I always trtied to go shopping alone, lol, but I know that's not possible. Actually D has always been wonderful in a store, but my nt daughter was known to be a nightmare! I usually kept my list short and would either bring a favorite toy, promise a treat or have a nervouse breakdown if neither worked, lol!

magmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:52 AM
I am glad he loves it. I feel pretty helpless at the store. Most of the time he's not in full tantrum mode but he's within his own little world carelesd towards anyone around.

Quoting Logansmom1999:

Logan loves to shop. Occasionally he will act out but we haven't discovered why so we can predict a tantrum. He likes to look at every toy but never asks for one. If he is good he gets a candy bar when we check out.

magmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:54 AM
How old is he?

Quoting princess_1983:

My son is usually a good shopper but lately he has been running off and I have to chase after him.If he gets tired he will start running around the store too. Then I know it is time to leave.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)