Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is on the menu for Thursday?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Jen
  • 31 Replies
I'm cooking at home on Thursday and looking for some new fresh ideas. I want to brine the turkey too. Never tried it before but it sounds good. Anyone do that too?
What's on your menu?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:28 PM

We always brine the turkey when I cook it at home..... keeps it moist and adds alot more flavor.

My mom is making everything this year so I don't know what's on the menu, lol. All I know is I'm going to make some pumpkin soup to have at home. :)

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Not sure.  I'm going to in laws.  I was assigned green bean casserole and kid friendly dessert.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Pirogues, kielbasa, cornbread chorizo stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, cheese platter ( jarlsberg, brie, sharp ny cheddar & vt horseradish)

Turkey, stuffing, sausage dressing, grands rolls, carrots & grapes, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, green bean casserole.

Pumpkin pie, apple pie, choco-chip pie & a surprise dessert.

Along with a BIG GLASS FILLED TO THE RIM of total INSANITY!!!!
18 people in my house for the holiday! Thank goodness they are only day guests!!
Lol!!! Cheers to Friday & the clean up!

A big yes to brining the turkey! Got a 22lb'er! Whew!!!
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I'm a simple Iowa girl, so the majority of your first two lines I have no idea what they are! lol!!!

But if you can cook a 22 lb bird and dinner for 18 people, I'm sure you're a great cook! :)

Quoting SamMom912: Pirogues, kielbasa, cornbread chorizo stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, cheese platter ( jarlsberg, brie, sharp ny cheddar & vt horseradish) Turkey, stuffing, sausage dressing, grands rolls, carrots & grapes, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, green bean casserole. Pumpkin pie, apple pie, choco-chip pie & a surprise dessert. Along with a BIG GLASS FILLED TO THE RIM of total INSANITY!!!! 18 people in my house for the holiday! Thank goodness they are only day guests!! Lol!!! Cheers to Friday & the clean up! A big yes to brining the turkey! Got a 22lb'er! Whew!!!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Lol! Pirogues are just polish ravioli- they are potato filled or cheese filled and boiled - then fried. My family was German then moved to Poland just before WW2 to escape... then made it to NY. :) my grandmother taught me to make a mean pirogue.. Just flour, water, egg, into a pancake... And fill with a mashed potato type filling (with sautéed onion) or farmers cheese and some other ingredients... We sometimes make mushroom onion or sauerkraut filling. I made a batch (70?) in September... And have about 25-30 left frozen.. So I'm thawing & cooking... Kielbasa is a polish sausage thrown on the grill.

Now the chorizo, thats a spicy sausage...stuffed white button mushrooms with chopped up spicey sausage and cornbread kind of stuffing...

My husband jokes that he married me because Im good in 2 rooms of the house, not just 1... lol... Kitchen & bedroom... Lol!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I'm a simple Iowa girl, so the majority of your first two lines I have no idea what they are! lol!!!

But if you can cook a 22 lb bird and dinner for 18 people, I'm sure you're a great cook! :)

Quoting SamMom912: Pirogues, kielbasa, cornbread chorizo stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, cheese platter ( jarlsberg, brie, sharp ny cheddar & vt horseradish)

Turkey, stuffing, sausage dressing, grands rolls, carrots & grapes, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, green bean casserole.

Pumpkin pie, apple pie, choco-chip pie & a surprise dessert.

Along with a BIG GLASS FILLED TO THE RIM of total INSANITY!!!!
18 people in my house for the holiday! Thank goodness they are only day guests!!
Lol!!! Cheers to Friday & the clean up!

A big yes to brining the turkey! Got a 22lb'er! Whew!!!

lady_katie
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I am taking it EASY on Thursday for a change! I am just cooking some turkey breast, making a basic gravy, stuffing, corn bread and potatoes. We usually travel to my inlaws and experience melt down city for two days, and then spend the next week recovering...but not this year! This year, we're going to stay home and actually enjoy the holiday for a change. Then on black friday, we're hitting the potty training hard, since we're most definitely not venturing out into the crowds. I made up a whole basket of goodie bags to use as incentives, and I'm feeling pretty confident about it this time around. 

.beautifulrose.
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I ordered a smoked turkey. I'll be making ham, cornbread and corn on the cob, my son's favorites. I don't know what else is on the menu. My mom made it and her and my brothers are out shopping today. I love this Thanksgiving already! lol. I don't have to cook everything :)
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds yummy!!

i understand, my hubs married me for my Christmas cookies!

Quoting SamMom912: Lol! Pirogues are just polish ravioli- they are potato filled or cheese filled and boiled - then fried. My family was German then moved to Poland just before WW2 to escape... then made it to NY. :) my grandmother taught me to make a mean pirogue.. Just flour, water, egg, into a pancake... And fill with a mashed potato type filling (with sautéed onion) or farmers cheese and some other ingredients... We sometimes make mushroom onion or sauerkraut filling. I made a batch (70?) in September... And have about 25-30 left frozen.. So I'm thawing & cooking... Kielbasa is a polish sausage thrown on the grill. Now the chorizo, thats a spicy sausage...stuffed white button mushrooms with chopped up spicey sausage and cornbread kind of stuffing... My husband jokes that he married me because Im good in 2 rooms of the house, not just 1... lol... Kitchen & bedroom... Lol!
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting SamMom912: Pirogues, kielbasa, cornbread chorizo stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, cheese platter ( jarlsberg, brie, sharp ny cheddar & vt horseradish) Turkey, stuffing, sausage dressing, grands rolls, carrots & grapes, mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, green bean casserole. Pumpkin pie, apple pie, choco-chip pie & a surprise dessert. Along with a BIG GLASS FILLED TO THE RIM of total INSANITY!!!! 18 people in my house for the holiday! Thank goodness they are only day guests!! Lol!!! Cheers to Friday & the clean up! A big yes to brining the turkey! Got a 22lb'er! Whew!!!

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Do you have a good recipe for the brine?

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

We always brine the turkey when I cook it at home..... keeps it moist and adds alot more flavor.

My mom is making everything this year so I don't know what's on the menu, lol. All I know is I'm going to make some pumpkin soup to have at home. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:50 PM
That's nice - doesn't sound like too much work. How do you make the green bean casserole?

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Not sure.  I'm going to in laws.  I was assigned green bean casserole and kid friendly dessert.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)