Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We Got His Results Today

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

They diagnosed Gavin as being moderately autistic this morning. We go next Monday for his first IEP meeting. Not sure how I feel right now, on one hand I was ready for this, on the other it's hitting me a bit hard. 

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Congratulations on the diagnosis! The good thing is that he got diagnosed early which can help him reach his full potential. You need to update the school district or school on his new diagnosis if he is already receiving services. If not, he does qualify for free Special Education services to help him reach his full potential.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
Inherited genetic Metabolic Syndrome diagnosed August 2014 (maternal side)
My Author Page

DviousMaskerade
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Thank you. He is currently receiving services through the early education center here. It's in a different school district then the one we live in but they have told us his IEP will go with him when he starts here. 

Quoting dawncs:

Congratulations on the diagnosis! The good thing is that he got diagnosed early which can help him reach his full potential. You need to update the school district or school on his new diagnosis if he is already receiving services. If not, he does qualify for free Special Education services to help him reach his full potential.

shunnicutt
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I know exactly how you are feeling, you think you are ready...then boom.  We had several of these moments.  People will say, but you already knew... it just doesn't matter.  It is such a roller coaster.  The great thing is, he is getting early intervention, he will have an IEP in place so he gets what he needs at school, and you all have each other.

Good luck and great follow through for your sweet little man. <hugs!>

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM

What you're feeling is very normal.  Hugs!  Hope the IEP goes well!

dawncs
by Dawn on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM

My county does the same thing when it comes to providing services for all qualifying children at one location. They often do it for disabilities where the numbers change from year to year, and the school districts do not want to hire a permanent teacher to give them tenure eventually.

Quoting DviousMaskerade:

Thank you. He is currently receiving services through the early education center here. It's in a different school district then the one we live in but they have told us his IEP will go with him when he starts here. 

Quoting dawncs:

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
Inherited genetic Metabolic Syndrome diagnosed August 2014 (maternal side)
My Author Page

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:33 PM

You need a great big 'atta mom'!   Good job.   Now your little guy will get the services he needs!   And that's what really makes the difference, get at it early!

The more I study the genetics and brain the more I realize, that the outcome of this disorder is much more about what moms and dads and grand moms and grand dads, and brothers and sisters and teachers and aids do.   The genetics, and the brain, sure that's interesting and all, and helps to understand why therapy works so well, helps us to design new therapies, and most importantly, teaches others to understand autism and not just assume the child is just being a 'brat or spoiled', but the human story is the most important part of the outcome.  

Best wishes to your family, and good thoughts for the future.

mypbandj
by Jen on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Good luck with the iep!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Amy on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I'm glad you got the diagnosis now so that you can get him the tools he needs to be successful at school & in the future.  (((hug)))

DviousMaskerade
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Thank you ladies :)
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Nov. 25, 2014 at 4:51 AM

((Hugs)) to you momma! It took me awhile too to wrap my head around my sons diagnosis. Good luck with his IEP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)