Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She won't stop talking at school.

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hi, ladies. I'm Emily, mom to Lily. She's 8 years old with high functioning autism and adhd. We just recently moved to a new school. The problem is that she won't quit talking during lessons. She has always been a chatterbox, talking up a storm, but this new school (maybe the change) has amplified things big time. Basically, she talks all day long. Has anyone been through this? Any advice on how to make her stop? She does have a one on one aide, but she seems to think that her one on one is her constant conversation companion. I'm at the end of my rope, and I'm pretty sure that her new teacher is too.
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Reese2010727
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Just here for a bump...my DS is 3 and a chatterbox
dawncs
by Dawn on Dec. 4, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Have you tried social stories with her or doing social skills training. Conversations do not always come easy for us or body language. Social skills training can be added into an I.E.P., but you can find videos for it at www.youtube.com.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
Inherited genetic Metabolic Syndrome diagnosed August 2014 (maternal side)
My Author Page

LilysMama719
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM
She has had social skills classes at a local autism clinic. We have also done social stories with her. Nothing is working so far. Thanks for the advice.

Quoting dawncs:

Have you tried social stories with her or doing social skills training. Conversations do not always come easy for us or body language. Social skills training can be added into an I.E.P., but you can find videos for it at www.youtube.com.

LilysMama719
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Thanks. :)

Quoting Reese2010727: Just here for a bump...my DS is 3 and a chatterbox
Happy0064
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Maybe her non stop talking is how she is coping with the move to the new school.  Have you tried different maniplatives with her such as chewies or even something she can manipulate with her hands .  Every child reacts differently to stress and aniexty and talking must be hers.  

LilysMama719
by New Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM
She's been taking a stuffed animal to school. It helps a little.

Quoting Happy0064:

Maybe her non stop talking is how she is coping with the move to the new school.  Have you tried different maniplatives with her such as chewies or even something she can manipulate with her hands .  Every child reacts differently to stress and aniexty and talking must be hers.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)