Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Even more nervous!

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:55 PM
  • 5 Replies
I had an IEP meeting today for my nephew. He had an outdated IEP for speech. Well, they did the assessment and he came out as moderate fluency issues. So, I thought he would continue to get speech. We have the meeting. (I had to take Nick, so I was trying to pay attention) the teacher said it isn't interfering with his education. So, he gets no services. They were very short with me.

Then the speech therapist asked about Nick. (This is where he is going to go to Kindergarden next yr) she wanted to know if he is getting services. I told her yes, and that he has a very intensive IEP with speech twice a week. I just didn't get the same feeling with these people like I did with Nicks teams he has had so far. I wonder if I asked for Nick to get the other Kindergarden teacher, if they would do it?

this all worries me because he is struggling so bad! So, I think that I am going to make a list of everything that is helping Nick, and when we have our next meeting, I'm going to make sure everything is included as accommodations. Maybe that will make the transition a little easier.
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
dawncs
by Dawn on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I hate to say it, but each category of Special Education is different on how they approach the theraputic issues such as speech therapy. It does deal with a lot on how it impacts his learning, but it is a major requirement required by Special Education caselaw (due process lawsuits) of the past and federal legislation. The standards got toughened up in the past due to abuses of the system done by some school districts. There is a lot of great information at www.wrightslaw.com and www.autismspeaks.org.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
Inherited genetic Metabolic Syndrome diagnosed August 2014 (maternal side)
My Author Page

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Definitely make your list. You have the right to be an author of his IEP. It is reasonable to ask to keep as much of the same team as possible.

magmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM
I have learned the hard way that I have to be prepared or the school representatives will walk all over us.

I keep a log of his behaviors and list things that help, I make a detailed list of every little piece that I want discussed and the things i want done that are not negotiable for me.

It has been really important for me to have specific ideas and examples of why those accommodations would be appropriate.

Coming from a teaching background I assumed when I was on the parent side I would be able to trust the professionals to help. Instead they are just a huge roadblock that we have to be armed for and ready to fight.

Good luck in the battle. We are all there with you! Lots of love.
Jenn8604
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Lists are your bff in IEP meetings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 5, 2014 at 6:14 AM

I agree here.  Hugs mama!

Quoting MamaLauri:

Definitely make your list. You have the right to be an author of his IEP. It is reasonable to ask to keep as much of the same team as possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)