Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Banging my head here...

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM
  • 10 Replies

So, yesterday, the school called me at 2:45 (school closes at 3:00). They wanted me to pick Logan up right away (we live 1.5 miles from the school). The teacher was adamant that Logz was sick. He was crying without acting out. 

I went and got him and it turns out he wanted a drink. He communicated that clearly. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they could not figure out what he needed.

How do I address this with his teacher without pissing her off. Should I just let it go?

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
magmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think you should let it go. They are his caregivers too. They should know something as basic as that. Don't know how to tell her other than directly. If she gets mad it's because of her own ignorance.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM

You may just ask innocently why they thought he was sick.. Explain when you got home he simply wanted a drink and was ok.. Just in case something else was making them think he was sick.. And just to keep an eye out for whatever behaviors they were seeing that they interpreted as sick? 

Hugs... Maybe they felt the crying was indicative of his not feeling good... But I agree, it would take MORE then that to have me think sick... 

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Don't let it go. You can send an email and ask her to explain what exactly happened. After she explains, then say that he just wanted a drink. Ask if she knew that?
You can say you're concerned that he is having trouble communicating his needs and ask her how she thinks they could handle that in the future.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri-553
by Terri on Dec. 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM

No don;t let it go,I agree try tosee why or want was misunderstood on her part??you are his voice

Macphee
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I've seen a lot of your posts about picking Logan up. I think that you should make yourself less available. The teacher has an escape by you coming and fixing the issue. It prevents her from seeking a solution.

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I Think the teacher just doesn't want to deal with him and it's easier to have you come get him towards the end of the day early so she can get a break.

I thinks he used that as an excuse. I think you need to be less available, unless he's throwing up or as a fever, he shouldn't be sent home for being sick.

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Isn't a sped teacher on his team? That person should be teaching his teacher how to communicate with Logan.

If she is the sped teacher, shame on her, and you should feel free to be more blunt. She is suppose to be trained, and train others.

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Absolutely do NOT let it go.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 14, 2014 at 8:06 PM

How did things go?  Have you had a chance to address this with the teacher yet?  Hugs mama!

only_1_4_me
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2014 at 8:16 PM

I would have a meeting with the teacher.. If he is clearly communicating what he wants, and their first instinct is to call you because he's crying, there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)