Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a few things ...

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hang in there with me because I have a lot on my mind.

First, thank you so much for the ideas and support you give me through this process.

Second, the school finally agreed to do the academic, OT, and language testing! I literally jumped up and down when I read the email. We have fought for this for 2 years and the school had always found some loophole to keep it from happening, but since the school psychologist has gotten involved she has basically taken over!

At our last meeting the teachers acted baffled over what was happening and kept insisting he can therefore should do 100% of what his peers are able to do. They kept going back and forth over us, when the new school psychologist asked us for his specific diagnoses so far. When we mentioned the testing coming up she got it.

Third, we got up late yesterday because my phone was under micahs pillow when the alarm went off. It totally messed up our car plans. I was going to get them early for therapy anyway so I just kept them out. The VP had called (before she knew he wasnt there) to let me know he needs to spend a day in her office to catch up on all the work that has built up. We tried it their way of sending work back so he could do it school. It's failing. Just like we thought.

He's drowning and they are fighting him to keep afloat when all we have to do is pull the plug and make it less of a load.

I stopped by school to get these papers. L.A.teacher had insisted there was many homework assignments not completed. Uh- yea. She told him he would have so much fun in school with their play groups and recess so he should stop refusing to do his homework. She told him to say something in a big boy 3rd grade voice. She insists he never talks baby talk in there. VP says they have given him modifications. When L.A. left I told VP no she will not make modifications. He needs less volume. Less intensity.

She left me with a couple of papers- one being a spelling homework practice half done and she graded it as a 50.

Fourth, because he was so far behiId and he was gonna be stuck in the principal s office to work on it anyway, we kept home home, it was very dramatic trying to get him going.

I think that's all.

Oh, how does an keep affect the standardized tests? I just dn0nt know he can handle the stress of it.
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Macphee
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Depending on his diagnosis, he should have accommodations for testing. One on one, breaks, verbally reading, more time.

If it's that bad, call the district and ask about the waivers. Or behavior analyst assures me that ds who is diagnosed on the spectrum can be waived from state testing if need be.
Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Keeping your son home sounds like the only thing to do.  If a kid is falling behind and struggling so much what good would it do to have him sit in the principal's office all day? That sounds awful, and they sound rather clueless.  I am sorry they are that way.  BUT, good news on the testing, and keep up the good fight.  You are doing a great job, and hang in there! :)

magmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Quoting Macphee: Depending on his diagnosis, he should have accommodations for testing. One on one, breaks, verbally reading, more time.

If it's that bad, call the district and ask about the waivers. Or behavior analyst assures me that ds who is diagnosed on the spectrum can be waived from state testing if need be.

I will look into those things. Thank you. I'm not sure if I need to pull him out of state testing but I don't want to send him into a very stressful environment, with standards and 3rd grade expectations he can't handle.
magmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Quoting Ajisai43:

Keeping your son home sounds like the only thing to do.  If a kid is falling behind and struggling so much what good would it do to have him sit in the principal's office all day? That sounds awful, and they sound rather clueless.  I am sorry they are that way.  BUT, good news on the testing, and keep up the good fight.  You are doing a great job, and hang in there! :)

Thank you. He did a great job on his work today. Of course he got hung up at the reading assignments so I don't know we will get those done.
mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 13, 2014 at 12:27 AM
An IEP should be able to give him accomodations for testing; things like extra time, questions read to him, taking it in a separate room than the other kids, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
magmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Quoting mypbandj: An IEP should be able to give him accomodations for testing; things like extra time, questions read to him, taking it in a separate room than the other kids, etc.

Would it help him on the standardized tests?
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Depends.

Many kids on the spectrum do better with the standardized tests because they are more about reasoning than memorizing. So here, yes.

If he has never been exposed to the style of test, he could be thrown off and stressed out. It would help some here.

Quoting magmommy:
Quoting mypbandj: An IEP should be able to give him accomodations for testing; things like extra time, questions read to him, taking it in a separate room than the other kids, etc.

mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Yes. My State isn't especially known for being great with IEPs and services but as part of the IEP, there is an entire section that addresses the students participation of District-wie assessments.  So basically, if my state is doing it, I'm sure yours does something similar. 

So, on the IEP, this is what is written in and they have to check on of the boxes. My child has the 2nd box checked and receives no accommodations or modifications....but they definitely are an option for those who need it. 

The choices are: 

This studen will not participate in district-wide assessments. He/she will be assessed on a daily basis through their objectioves. 

Student will participate in all district-wde assessments without accommodations or modifications. 

Student will participate in district-wide assessments with the following accommodations and/or modifications in the following areas as allowed by the kansas state deptart of education.

Quoting magmommy:

magmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Quoting mypbandj:

Yes. My State isn't especially known for being great with IEPs and services but as part of the IEP, there is an entire section that addresses the students participation of District-wie assessments.  So basically, if my state is doing it, I'm sure yours does something similar. 

So, on the IEP, this is what is written in and they have to check on of the boxes. My child has the 2nd box checked and receives no accommodations or modifications....but they definitely are an option for those who need it. 

The choices are: 

This studen will not participate in district-wide assessments. He/she will be assessed on a daily basis through their objectioves. 

Student will participate in all district-wde assessments without accommodations or modifications. 

Student will participate in district-wide assessments with the following accommodations and/or modifications in the following areas as allowed by the kansas state deptart of education.

Quoting magmommy:

nice! Thank you. We have a 504 but they have been messing around denying the iep so I'm anxious about what all can help him.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Are u reffering to common core testing in the spring?
Why not just opt out?

Quoting magmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)