Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help with gifts; a dog

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 12:39 AM
  • 12 Replies
We are running low financially. My parents have basically bought our kids Christmas gifts. So what can i get them?

Last year I bought a small canvas and put the kids handprints in different colors randomly scattered. It was a lot better than I had hoped. It looks really good.

Also, the kids want a puppy so bad. We visited the animal shelter and they found one a lot more hyper and bigger than I had thought we were aiming for. But the kids took to him. He was friendly with them but didn't mind them pulling and tugging on him, or even when Anna screamed out over him getting close.

My husband likes him. The kids like him. Even though Anna screamed when he was near, she screamed and cried harder as we left yelling we can't leave without our puppy.

The last dog we had was sick and died. He was a puppy. We had him for a few months 3 years ago,yet for some reason they are obsessed with it all. They tell everyone our dog rugby died. I guess it's not a long time for me to have him, but to them he was there a long time?

Having a new for-profit I'd like to. I know he would be good for the kids. Maybe even one day get him trained. But my husband works a lot random hours so I know the responsibility of him will fall to me. I don't want to be selfish, but I don't want that responsibility.
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Maybe a framed picture of the kids?
Or homemade ornaments (that was super cheap for us!)
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:30 AM

If ou adopt the dog for free they are still costly... Food, vet, toys, meds for dog (flea, tick, heart worm) all add up... And YES, the walking WILL fall on you. Our 10 month old yellow lab Maggie is GREAT and WORK... BUT, I will say I ONLY mind 15 percent of the time... LOL... 

I don't know where you're located, but we got our dog as a rescue trained from a prison down south. She spent 10 weeks basic training as a rehab for the prisoner and her... And she was house trained, leash trained, knew her name, sit and come... (She also knew how to bow) and easily learned stand, paw and roll over. It's not free to get the dog, but maybe there is something like that near you?? 

BUT she is mischievous... Loves to steal (and if not caught eat) shoes... And has done minimal damage to our stuff.. But still damage... :( 

What about hamsters? Guinea pigs? Fish? 

Li also remember your little guy is having a tough go of it lately... What about applying for a heeling dog for ASD kids? They are super trained.... :) 

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Based on what you said, I would examine your first sentence and what the impacts of your financial situation really are.  If it was us, and I was struggling to afford basic things, my kids Christmas gifts, etc., I would not be adding another financial expense like a dog to the mix in my house.  Like Samsmom said, even if the dog is free, his care and needs are not.  Pets are expensive.  My cat had a 500 vet bill last year that surprised me, plus all the annual and regular care.  It would be worse to buy the dog and then upset the kids by giving it away if you could not afford it that to not buy it at all.  I would just really think through the financials first.  There are cheaper pets, you could always start with a bowl of goldfish for now. And maybe a stuffed dog for each of them to cuddle.  Hugs!

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I think that's fair if you don't want a dog. don't get one.

As to other animals, I find our hamster annoys my NT daughter, the stupid thing spins it's wheels all night, and she can only hold it a few minutes each day, and even though she loves our daughter because our daughter feeds her by hand, she still nips anyone when they try to remove her from the cage. Once she's out, she's nice.

Guinie pigs are stinky, and require daily maintance, as do hamsters.

Fish are little work if you get cheap feeder fish, but make sure your kids can handle them dying.

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM

And FYI - Hamsters, and Guinie pigs need to see vets too.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:22 AM
I agree here! Hugs mama!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Based on what you said, I would examine your first sentence and what the impacts of your financial situation really are.  If it was us, and I was struggling to afford basic things, my kids Christmas gifts, etc., I would not be adding another financial expense like a dog to the mix in my house.  Like Samsmom said, even if the dog is free, his care and needs are not.  Pets are expensive.  My cat had a 500 vet bill last year that surprised me, plus all the annual and regular care.  It would be worse to buy the dog and then upset the kids by giving it away if you could not afford it that to not buy it at all.  I would just really think through the financials first.  There are cheaper pets, you could always start with a bowl of goldfish for now. And maybe a stuffed dog for each of them to cuddle.  Hugs!

magmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Yes i agree about the costs. We have put it off for a while. But alth0ugh we are tight right now, my husband hasS just been promoted to assistant manager so now the pay is beginning to get us caught up. It's just awkward timiNg.
magmommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Quoting SamMom912:

If ou adopt the dog for free they are still costly... Food, vet, toys, meds for dog (flea, tick, heart worm) all add up... And YES, the walking WILL fall on you. Our 10 month old yellow lab Maggie is GREAT and WORK... BUT, I will say I ONLY mind 15 percent of the time... LOL... 

I don't know where you're located, but we got our dog as a rescue trained from a prison down south. She spent 10 weeks basic training as a rehab for the prisoner and her... And she was house trained, leash trained, knew her name, sit and come... (She also knew how to bow) and easily learned stand, paw and roll over. It's not free to get the dog, but maybe there is something like that near you?? 

BUT she is mischievous... Loves to steal (and if not caught eat) shoes... And has done minimal damage to our stuff.. But still damage... :( 

What about hamsters? Guinea pigs? Fish? 

Li also remember your little guy is having a tough go of it lately... What about applying for a heeling dog for ASD kids? They are super trained.... :) 

They ARE expensive! That has kept us from getting one for awhile. Now that my husband is the assistnt mgr his checks are starting to get us caught up. I think it's still too soon, we are not yet settled in to how this new salary will affect us.

I have wondered about the healing dogs, but don't know anything about how it works. With his obsessions with stuffed puppies, puppy movies, and puppy behavior, I feel like a dog might be comforting to him.
TheJerseyGirl
by on Dec. 21, 2014 at 7:52 AM

I have 2 dogs..they're high maintenence, they're both a pain in my ass too, but dogs are WONDERFUL for kids. They are always there to love, protect, make you laugh...and yes unfortunately poop in the house sometimes. My youngest, ASD, loves those dogs and they love him more.

As far as financially, they need to eat, go to groomers and go to the vet! They are definitely another burden as far as cost!

and YES, you are going to be the one taking all of the responsibility for this dog. With a house and kids, it's a lot! But if you really want a dog for the family, totally worth it!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 21, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I wouldn't trade my puppy for anything but he does cost money and is a lot of work. If you aren't it ready for that kind of responsibility and financial responsibility nothing wrong with waiting.. Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)