Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry to impose but autism doesnt take a holiday.

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM
  • 14 Replies

Good morning moms and happy holidays to you all. This picture is of my developementally delayed son(not on the spectrum) playing this his stocking stuffer.......Hot Wheels cars. See how he lines them up? He does alot of his toys like this and even his books. My oldest son is on the spectrum but he doesn't line objects up so he's not emulating his big brother. But he mimicks and repeats excessively so it's possible that he is getting this from school. But excessive repeating, as in repetativeness, is a classic sign of autism. I dont want to make something be there that isnt but I dont want to turn a blind eye to it either if it is something. Should I be concerned?

by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM

My neurotypical 4 year old lines things up. All kids line things up to a point. That's pretty normal, it just depends on if they have the ability to PLAY with the cars in other ways, and age appropriateness. Social skills and developmental areas being met.

Lining cars up is a pretty typical thing for a kid to do.

But if you're worried, have him evaluated.

SugarbearNHoney
by Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

He does play with his toys in a typical manner as well because now he's in the floor driving them. Thanks for your insight.

hopeandfaith99
by Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM

My son is 15 and now he is seing a therapist bc of major depression. He is also seing a psychiatrist. NOBODY listens to me.! They don.t want to hear Aspergers. My son has a lot of traits. Sensory issues and zero social life.They put him on meds-which I am feeling so guilty of- but they will not persue a diagnosis. WHY???

Recently, her therapist-which I think is helping- told me that she thinks he may be on the spectrum. She also asked me what would change in me if he had a "label". This is not about me. I love my son the way he is. I think, he will be relieved if he understood the way his brain works.

What dou you think about med? Do all kids on the spectrum need them?

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 2:17 PM
I think the difference would be if he HAS to do it. My son was compulsive about lining things up. It had to be done. That was the only way he played with his cars is if he could line them up in his own order. There would be hell to pay if someone messed it up!! Lining things up can be a fun activity for any child, but I think the line in drawn at compulsion.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 25, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Not sure to be honest but no harm in getting him evaluated if needed:)  Hugs!

salvatoregirl24
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Mine lined his up but he was fixated on it and it had to be done that way. we foun out in january that he is autistic but mainly what tipped us off was the regression in speech.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM

My son lining cars was his first sign to me of ASD.  

Ralgj
by April on Dec. 26, 2014 at 6:05 AM
Both my NT and ASD kids line stuff up. That's a sign but not a for sure. Have an evaluation that way you can have piece of mind. If he isn't on the spectrum ok but if he is then you can start the therapies he needs.

Good luck!!
princess_1983
by on Dec. 26, 2014 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, it sure doesn't take holidays.

LIMom1105
by on Dec. 26, 2014 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
It can be a sign of autism, but it can also be a sign of OCD. Or it could be ordinary play.

Can the cars be moved at all or does he play with them in other ways? My son didn't really play with his cars or his animal figures when very young, he arranged them. And he had a huge tantrum if they got moved at all.

If he shows no other signs and he plays with the cars in other ways, I wouldn't worry about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)