• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can't focus on anything!

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM
  • 18 Replies
When Nicolas was diagnosed at 3, they said to keep an eye out for ADHD. That in a couple yrs, he might need that diagnosis too. Well, his attention and focus has really gotten bad. He used to watch movies. (He was liking them so much that we got him ALOT for Christmas) he won't or can't watch them now. About a week before Christmas break, my DH took Nick fishing. (Nick usually loves to go fishing with daddy) DH said he threw the line out twice then wanted to leave. He used to sit out there for hrs and do that.

This part of this is new for me. He is jumping from one thing to another. And he wants someone to play with him all day. And help him to figure out what to play with next.

I don't know where I should go with this. Should I say something to the school? Maybe a therapist? Not sure.
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Dec. 29, 2014 at 5:35 AM

I'm honestly not sure mama...I don't have any experience with ADHD, and I'm not sure what's "typical" for 3 year olds to do either.  Big hugs!

LIMom1105
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 8:04 AM
How is he doing in school? I think they look at a pattern of inattentiveness in both places. My son shows signs of hyperactivity, but not attention issues. The hyperactivity and impulsivity seem to be linked more to anxiety for him.

But this could be ADHD too. Ask his doctor what is recommended next.
lady_katie
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM
My sons dev pediatrician said that he probably has ADHD, and he does behave similarly to what you are describing, both at home and at school. I'm not really sure what we can do about it yet, but it's a huge problem because he can't sit through anything. He gets up from he kitchen table constantly during meals, and his impulsivity is out of control a lot of the time. I don't want to medicate him, but we will probably consider it if we cannot find a solution, as it really interferes with our lives.
mypbandj
by Jen on Dec. 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM
My public preschool said they only expected kids to be able to pay attention for one minute per year. But
That seems super low to me. You can't tell me that they think a kindergartener only needs to pay attention for five minutes!!
I think that Nicolas may be too young to get that Dx but idk for sure. My oldest had adhd and ASD so for me, it's hard to see that fine line of where one starts and the other ends. We did use meds but not until he was in kindergarten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 11:32 AM

You can have him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician.  It is different testing than ASD, but same idea.  My daughter (not the one with ASD) has it, and we built in focus goals into her IEP.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:02 PM
That school saying they only expect them to sit for 5 minutes does seem low. My nephew, which is in Kindergarden, has to do certain activities up to 20 minutes.

I also am not sure if this is part of his ASD or ADHD showing up more. He is 5, and the children's hospital that diagnosed him said they won't diagnose ADHD until 6. I don't want to use meds unless he is not able to focus and learn at school.

Quoting mypbandj: My public preschool said they only expected kids to be able to pay attention for one minute per year. But
That seems super low to me. You can't tell me that they think a kindergartener only needs to pay attention for five minutes!!
I think that Nicolas may be too young to get that Dx but idk for sure. My oldest had adhd and ASD so for me, it's hard to see that fine line of where one starts and the other ends. We did use meds but not until he was in kindergarten.
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I would definately bring it up to the school and the therapist. I would also talk to his doctor to see what he/she thinks. I would definately talk to the school so that they know that you suspect ADHD. I believe your doctor will ask the school to fill out a form to show how he is doing in school. If  he gets the ADHD dx then I would call for some changes to his IEP to make sure that they address any new issue that he may be having

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Start seeking out a Developmental/Pediatric Neurologist. Progressions are more likely biomedical in nature.

Macphee
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM
I would set up a schedule with times and use timers. Ds does this too. If he picks one movie, 10 mns he wants another. Don't allow it. It might just be a phase. Nt have issues with this during winter days because of lack of physical activity. Being outdoors helps. Try music too, it might help him focus.

Dh and NT son have ADHD and ASD son shows signs now.
emarin77
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 6:05 PM

That can be part of ADD/ADHD.  My son has ADHD with his High Functioning Autism.  I would contact his psychiatrist first to diagnose then you use the diagnosis for your  son to receive a behavieral plan in school if he is having difficulties in the classroom.  (Once you have your son's diagnosis from his psych bring it to his school).  The school will do their own psych evaluation.  You need to have a meeting with your son's IEP team to receive this service.   How well is your son doing in school?  If he is doing well with his grades medication is not needed.  My son's psych and doctor let us know of this information.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)