Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wow, that is strange!

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:20 PM
  • 6 Replies

So for a while now, Izzy complains about my cooking. (which to all we know is strange since I am actually a great cook! making most things from scratch!) She hates my pasta sauce, homemade mac n cheese, and a few other things.. she will eat it, because unless it's a sensory issue or a real distaste for something, the rule is you eat what is cooked... anyhow, tonight is baked macaroni and cheese. she did not see me make the cheese sauce.. she comes in the kitchen asking whats for dinner. I told her macaroni and cheese. ( I was draining the pasta while this is going on.) she looks in the pan on the stove at the homemade cheese sauce.. she says "mom, is this the sauce YOU make?" I thought about it for a second and told her no, it's a packaged cheese that I chose to warm up.. she was like oh ok! so now that we have eaten dinner (her without a single complaint!) Im like, wait a minute here.. thinking back to a lasagna I made a few weeks ago (and again said it was jarred sauce, though it was hommade) she loved that too!! she for whatever reason has an adversion to HOMEMADE food! but ONLY when she KNOWS it's hommade!!!!! I dont feed her processed foods often (like velveeta etc) so Im not sure why she would "only like that" lol... so, basically as long as she thinks its processed will she admit to liking it hahah..

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:52 PM

I know many kids this way. It's like because it comes out of a package it's magical and therefore has to be better. Even if homemade tastes so much better. My daughter will no longer eat cookies I bake from scratch for her, but she eats the heck out of the packaged cookies my mom buys her.

The only opposite is the child that's raised on processed food only (not due to food aversions but simply because their parents don't want to cook ..... my in laws, lol) then anything that's homemade is AMAZING simply because you took the time to make it (my husband LOVES that I make things from scratch ... he didn't experience that until adulthood).

only_1_4_me
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

I know many kids this way. It's like because it comes out of a package it's magical and therefore has to be better. Even if homemade tastes so much better. My daughter will no longer eat cookies I bake from scratch for her, but she eats the heck out of the packaged cookies my mom buys her.

The only opposite is the child that's raised on processed food only (not due to food aversions but simply because their parents don't want to cook ..... my in laws, lol) then anything that's homemade is AMAZING simply because you took the time to make it (my husband LOVES that I make things from scratch ... he didn't experience that until adulthood).

I guess it's one of those the grass is greener on the other side type of deals? when she goes to her grandmothers its mostly prepackaged frozen meals (for the most part).. I dont blame my MIL for it either.. she is in her 70's and I sure as heck dont want to be making everything from scratch at that age either haha.. my husband grew up on home cooked meals, so he loves that I do it all! I grew up on state food, so from scratch with fresh ingerdients makes me love it too!

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

The grass is greener on the other side is probably exactly what this is, lol. 

But, just to say .... my great grandma ( yes, I have a GREAT grandma who's still ALIVE ) has made food from scratch all her life and at age 92, she STILL makes things from scratch .... so don't doubt your wants or abilities later in life ;)   She also still lives alone in her own home. She's a fiesty old thing, lol. 

Quoting only_1_4_me:

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

I guess it's one of those the grass is greener on the other side type of deals? when she goes to her grandmothers its mostly prepackaged frozen meals (for the most part).. I dont blame my MIL for it either.. she is in her 70's and I sure as heck dont want to be making everything from scratch at that age either haha.. my husband grew up on home cooked meals, so he loves that I do it all! I grew up on state food, so from scratch with fresh ingerdients makes me love it too!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you figured it out! My kids get like that too..sigh..

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine can be like that once in a while but it seems like the older they get, the more they appreciate homemade.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
That is so funny😊
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)