Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ABA assessments

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

Just curious .... for those whose kids are doing ABA, what were the initial assessments like? There are countless things that need to be worked on and I guess I was just wondering if they narrow down how they do the testing based on what needs to be addressed first?

I don't know .... getting very impatient to get process going. She was supposed to get tested this week but the dang insurance won't release her benefit information to the ABA provider yet for who know's what reason. The provider is being very apologetic and wants it resolved, but it means testing won't happen til Monday at the earliest. Just another setback. Sigh.

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:25 PM

Bump for the many moms on here who have experience with ABA 

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Their teacher and I went and talked to them about the kids and took copies of their IEPs. Then I filled out the ATEC questionnaire on line.  They built the program from there and did not meet my kids until the first day of therapy.  And they were spot on in the programming.  ABA is also run with a set of basic kits that happen in a certain order.  Kids start in different spots based on their abilities.  My daughter started at level one and is still there.  My son started a bit farther into level one to make sure we knew the right gaps, but now is in stage three on some parts and high two on the rest.  Then in addition to the base they add in individual things you as a family want to work on... Communication device, feeding for my daughter.  Allergy safety, functional routines, sharing for my son. We change it up all the time, and each month has new goals.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:44 PM

D has no ABA.   =/

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:36 PM
I don't think anyone in this entire town knows what ABA is. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Okay. So really they'll just be testing her to see what level she is currently at to know where to start. I remember they follow 2 different kits, one being VBMAPPS. The other I can't remember the name but they said they don't use it as often but it has more daily living skills in it so I have a feeling they will incorporate it as well since my daughter is very low on dls. 

What about specific problem behaviors? Does your therapist just work on those as they appear in therapy? 

I talked to a BCBA about the possible gaps in development ..... did your son fill in all his or did ya'll see some you knew you could pass by? I know that's individual for each child but I've always found splinter skills to be fascinating.   

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Their teacher and I went and talked to them about the kids and took copies of their IEPs. Then I filled out the ATEC questionnaire on line.  They built the program from there and did not meet my kids until the first day of therapy.  And they were spot on in the programming.  ABA is also run with a set of basic kits that happen in a certain order.  Kids start in different spots based on their abilities.  My daughter started at level one and is still there.  My son started a bit farther into level one to make sure we knew the right gaps, but now is in stage three on some parts and high two on the rest.  Then in addition to the base they add in individual things you as a family want to work on... Communication device, feeding for my daughter.  Allergy safety, functional routines, sharing for my son. We change it up all the time, and each month has new goals.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:45 AM

I filled out a questionnaire with ABA, but I'm guessing it is much different based on age? I'm also guessing the treatment is different based on age as well... 

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:48 AM

The curriculum kit our group uses is STAR, but I'm sure different places use different kits.  I've heard of LINKS too for older kids.

Our therapists will work on anything I ask.  Any functional routines I want, toilting, hand washing, dressing, making bed, picking up room, using napkins instead of sleeves, getting coats/backpacks on and off at school time, outside safety, stranger safety, my sons food allergy awareness, sharing, pretend play, communication, screaming, school resistance in the mornings, etc.  We just change it up as we go.  They are wonderful in this.

My sons development was very spastic across areas, but part of that was that no other method prior to ABA could accuractly analyze his true current abilities.  So they started out low in the program to make sure all gaps would be caught.  That means month one he flew through a ton because he could do it, but then it picked up the random gaps in there that needed to be worked on.  Once he gets through all tiers, they will personally build his own program on what he needs, and what is important to us he learns until he ages out of the program.  I've been really happy with it.  For my kids, it has been the most effective method of teaching them things.  And while my kids do have private speech, OT, pt, sensory, and feeding therapies in addition to ABA, I find the ABA reinforces and works on all those areas daily, which is great!

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Okay. So really they'll just be testing her to see what level she is currently at to know where to start. I remember they follow 2 different kits, one being VBMAPPS. The other I can't remember the name but they said they don't use it as often but it has more daily living skills in it so I have a feeling they will incorporate it as well since my daughter is very low on dls. 

What about specific problem behaviors? Does your therapist just work on those as they appear in therapy? 

I talked to a BCBA about the possible gaps in development ..... did your son fill in all his or did ya'll see some you knew you could pass by? I know that's individual for each child but I've always found splinter skills to be fascinating.   

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 8:53 AM

That is my town too.  It stinks.  I heard about it from so many on this sight, their results, and sooo wanted to try it.  Then our out of town doc recommended it so strongly, and I researched it and wanted it.  I was lucky to get out of town people to create a program and hire our teacher to do it.  But my area needs it to come here.  There are so many kids that could benefit, and I just don't like that it is not even an option for families here to try.  I hope that changes.  Kids need to have services available and families have choices.

Quoting mypbandj: I don't think anyone in this entire town knows what ABA is. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)