• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wwyd... School delay?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:15 PM
  • 29 Replies
So our schools were on a two hour delay today. I drop off DS at 9am and pick him up at 12:15pm.

The 2 hour delay put school starting at 11, so I figured it wasn't worth bundling up all 3 kids warming my car and praying it wasn't still frozen shut to drive 5min down the road to drop him off. He basically would eat lunch and id pick him up. So I called him in and kept him home.

What would you do?
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you made the right call. Your child probably would've been upset only being there an hour when he's used to a 3 hour class.
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Sounds reasonable, but schools are funny about not getting funding for missing kids. It probably counts as an absence.

RainbowPetals
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:28 PM

I am suprised school wasn't cancelled for the ones that go a half day but I don't blame you for not sending him

Reese2010727
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have done the same thing.
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:06 PM
I would have done the same thing. If it's a 2 he delay, they cancel the morning classes to the half day kids. So, Nick would have had school because he is afternoon but no morning class.
lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:43 PM
They don't offer morning and afternoon. It's just apart of his IEP. He can't handle recess and afternoon activities

Quoting Nickmom1118: I would have done the same thing. If it's a 2 he delay, they cancel the morning classes to the half day kids. So, Nick would have had school because he is afternoon but no morning class.
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:54 PM

This will sound contradictory, lol.  I'd love to do the same thing!  But I was in the same position today with late start.  My son was due at 10:35 with a start time of 10:50, and I pick him up at noon.  All he would have was check in, lunch, indoor recess, go home.  I took him because I am already under a microscope for missing half day hours each day.  And yes, I had to drag his sisters out, warm car, drive in snow, blah!!  I'd have loved to stay home!

lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:04 PM
He's in an autism program. I havnt had any issues with his attendance as far as them bringing it up. He has missed school for being sick, doctors appointments, and today.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old and 5month old. He's not allowed to participate in recess so literally I would have dropped him off to eat lunch which he often struggles with and picked him up again. My car is so frozen I have to load all 3 in and out through my driver door

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

This will sound contradictory, lol.  I'd love to do the same thing!  But I was in the same position today with late start.  My son was due at 10:35 with a start time of 10:50, and I pick him up at noon.  All he would have was check in, lunch, indoor recess, go home.  I took him because I am already under a microscope for missing half day hours each day.  And yes, I had to drag his sisters out, warm car, drive in snow, blah!!  I'd have loved to stay home!

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldve kept him hiome too! Not worth it!

lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:10 PM
Our schools send home a note about student count days. They do the count in the am and pm and some how level the number. He just can't handle a full day so we started at 6 hours and are down to 3

Quoting MamaLauri:

Sounds reasonable, but schools are funny about not getting funding for missing kids. It probably counts as an absence.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)