Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Saturday at 2:00 pm

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Jen
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've been trying to get my 17 year old to show some interest in college without getting upset. Yesterday we were talking about it and he said he doesn't like it when I just spring the idea of talking about it on him.
I was like, but that's how you talk about stuff, you just start talking.

Anyway, to be more accommodating for him, I said to tell me when we could talk about it. I'm thinking he'd say something general like "Friday night" or "this weekend."

But no. He picks Saturday at 2:00 pm.

Of course he did. Mr. Specific. Mr. Literal.

Wish us luck! This Saturday at 2:00 we're talking about colleges!!!! LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pipamonium
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:15 AM

That sounds like my daughter >.< when she's being serious she's uber specific.

I wish you a world of luck on your discussion with DS, Sat at 2pm. Should be an interesting talk! 

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol!  Too funny!  Good luck!

lady_katie
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:22 AM
Haha, my husband had to learn to schedule stressful talks with me after he kept bringing up the oil bill at the end of the day. It gives me a chance to mentally prepare, and if I think it might be too much, it gives me more control over becoming overwhelmed because I can always reschedule :-)
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:24 AM

I think that's awesome

Dr Greene, that guy I just love, talks about how some kids need appointments to talk.. They need to organize their thoughts in advance.. They can't just handle the "talk "... I think it is AWESOME he figured this out! What I typically do with Sam is the preparation... "I'd like to talk about what happend at school today (referring to a specific incident.) after dinner," it gives Sam the prep time to know it's coming, there is no anxiety about the surprise.. And although it is more unilateral then I prefer, Sam will NEVER give me a time to talk.. LOL... So I just negotiate the time of the talk, not the talk itself... 

but yeah, 2:00 Saturday!!! What are your suggestions, concerns, wants, wishes? 

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:54 AM

So happy to hear. Are you planning on campus visits together? Are there nearby techie ones. Even if his interest do not lie in that direction, they are more ASD friendly.

only_1_4_me
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Good luck! :)

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:54 AM
That's the plan. I want him to see several different campuses so he gets an idea of what's out there.
He acts like he doesn't know what he's interested in but I am thinking of nudging him to explore engineering or chemical engineering. He is in AP Chemisty and likes it. And I know that many engineers are quirky. So...

Quoting MamaLauri:

So happy to hear. Are you planning on campus visits together? Are there nearby techie ones. Even if his interest do not lie in that direction, they are more ASD friendly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Good luck! 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Thanks. :)

Quoting Charizma77:

Good luck! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! I will report back. :)

Quoting only_1_4_me:

Good luck! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)