Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have your child participate in studies on autism?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:50 AM
  • 18 Replies

There is a local one that they are doing with supplementing whey protein and takes about 12 weeks that I am thinking of signing my daughter up for.  I am interested in seeing how adjusting her diet can affect her behavior.  Plus she will get the various evaluations, recommendations, etc.

Has your child participated in any local studies or is that something you prefer your child not to do?

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pipamonium
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:55 AM

If there were any in the area I would consider it. As long as I felt the study was something I could comply with I don't see why I wouldn't participate.

I doubt I'd be able to complete a study that had to do with food. We have too many issues in this household with food >.< 4 people with vastly different needs related to food is a delicate balance I wouldn't mess with at this point.

If you go for it I wish you luck! 

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:29 AM

He never has...I wouldnt be opposed to it but have never been asked.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:08 AM

For me it would depend on the study to if we'd participate.  We did some NICU heart studies and such when we were there, but nothing autism related at that time.  My daughter was in a long term Downs study, but I do not take her anymore.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Nope. 

I think it would stress Sam out and I don't need to add to his anxiety. ive considered a few at NY Presby Weil (as we are pretty close) but nothing ever looked like it was a good fit... And now that I know Sam better, I can't imagine trying to "get thru" a study,,, "I'm NOT GOING!" I can JUST hear him in my head... Lol

vegana
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:18 PM
Whey protein is a dairy derivate. Autistic children are sensitive to anything that comes from bovine milk
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 14, 2015 at 4:15 PM

I'm signed up in a state wide research base with my daughter's basic diagnosis and characteristics so that whenever a study comes up that is nearby and she would match as a good candidate, they can contact me and ask for her to participate. So far I haven't been contacted.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM

That is kind of a generic statement...true for some, but not for the whole population of children with autism.  Many tolerate milk just fine.

Quoting vegana: Whey protein is a dairy derivate. Autistic children are sensitive to anything that comes from bovine milk

Happy0064
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 6:52 PM

I did sign up for one study for my child--however it required no participation on his part.  It is a transition program for teens and it was to find out how much I knew about have a child who has aged out of the system into the adult world.  I get a survey once a year until he turns 18.  It was an eye opener because there truly are very few things in place once my child turns 18 even finding a doctor who treats an adult with autsim. Not going there yet :(  we stil have 3 years!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:56 PM

He hasn't but I think it would be great if he was part of one. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:50 PM
We were part of a study for 3 year olds with language delays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)