Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Emergency IEP finally done...

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:57 PM
  • 6 Replies

So, I went to the emergency IEP meeting that I set up last month. If you don't remember, it was made because Nicolas ran from the aide and bus driver. They didn't call me, and said they didn't go after him. The way I found out was with the bus aide and she gave me a totally different story then I got from the teachers. (when I did get an explanation)

The team was understanding. They had the assistant principle in the meeting. He is NEVER in the meetings. I am guessing because of the eloping issues that I have, is why he was there. The funny part was that he is a neighbor to me. He came to get me and I introduced myself. He is a new neighbor. He has only lived on our very rural road for about 6 months.

They don't want to put a plan directly in the IEP, but the assistant principle said to do it as a behavior plan. The special ed teacher made it clear that Nicolas isn't having any issues with behavior and she didn't think behavior plan isn't where we needed to be. The assistant principle said, no and that it needs to be inthere as a behavior plan because he didn't think it should be directly on the IEP. There is a note in the IEP saying to look for the behavior plan for eloping. The plan is for me to get a call right away if he gets away from the staff. I even told them that an email would be fine too. The next thing was the spec. ed teacher told me about the accomodations that they have been doing is being put into the IEP because I asked for them to be included. So, it was the pencil grip, and fidgets. I asked about him being put close to a teacher to help him stay focused. That didn't go over too good. They didn't want to put it in that he needs an adult to work. So, they put it in as an accomodation on where in the classroom to be. Like he might need to be in the front of the class so a teacher can monitor him. I was ok with it.

Then the assistant principle asked them to add something. He wanted it put in the IEP that Nicolas will have adult supervision during all transitions! He made sure to tell the teachers that we know that they know to make sure Nicolas is with the group, but when Nicolas moves on next year, they won't know him. So, there should be something in the IEP to make sure that Nicolas is supervised going to the bus, different rooms, or even the playground. I was so happy to get this! Then he made the spec. ed teacher go over what the steps are to transition him to Kindergarden. So, I found out they are changing the way they are doing this. So, just the spec. ed teacher meets with the school to introduce them to Nick's IEP. Then at the end of the year, there should be another IEP meeting that includes me and one represetative from the new school. (This is still up in the air, because they aren't sure exactly how this is going to go today)

I will have to see how this plays out. The spec. ed teacher did give me a heads up that Nicolas is doing good after the holidays. So, she doesn't think that he will be getting an extra day with ESY. (We meet about this in April) I am just waiting, because if there are alot of snow days, this is where they will see the behavior.

Sorry this was so long. I think it went pretty good.

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:09 PM
That all sounds great! I'm glad it went well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 6:07 AM

Of course they dont want to put inthe IEP that he needs adult supervision academically because that would mean money out of their pocket for an aide...and he may need this later on!

I'm happy they at least saw the importance of him being brought here and there and glad the asst. principal was the one on board with this!

A good meeting!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 8:42 AM

Nicole, you are such a great advocate for Nick! Awesome! I think there are lots of good things that were accomplished at the meeting WTG! 

I'd actually follow up in a month to see how the transitions with support are going as a way to judge if this is something helpful for him... I'd also TRY while you're in preschool to figure out if a 1:1 may be beneficial for next year.. So IF the transitions are going GREAT with the support... (I know this will be rough, but try to take it away) to see how he fares without that support... This smaller fishbowl is where you want to experiment.... See if you can figure out if next year 1:1 is something you want to push for based on supporting evidence this year... 

Or if things are going so well with supervised transitions, perhaps THAT is proof enough? But after dealing with school districts,,, I'm guessing nope... ;) 

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 15, 2015 at 8:45 AM
That is pretty much what the assistant principle said. That he doesn't have enough people to put with Nicolas and that's what the new school will say to. Not a battle I think we need to fight. YET! Like you said, he might need this later on.

There is definantly a major need for him to be supervised when transitioning to wherever he needs to go. I have a bad feeling that next year is going to start his struggles. He is doing really well, but the change to Kindergarden is going to be really different for him. They are going to expect more.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Of course they dont want to put inthe IEP that he needs adult supervision academically because that would mean money out of their pocket for an aide...and he may need this later on!

I'm happy they at least saw the importance of him being brought here and there and glad the asst. principal was the one on board with this!

A good meeting!

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jan. 15, 2015 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
They definantly won't give in on 1:1. The teachers says Nick does really well in the classroom this yr. He sits at a table near the teachers. As soon as I mentioned him being close to a teacher, the assistant principle started that there isn't enough staff for that. That's why he wanted to put it in as needing preferential seating. The only way I see to even think about a 1:1 is to wait till next yr and see if he will need it in class with the demands of Kindergarden. Him having additional adult support during transitions might give me a little lead way if he's not able to handle the class. I'm really not sure how it will work out.

Thanks. I think it went really well and he got what he needs, so his transition into Kindergarden and the rest of the yr should be ok.

Quoting SamMom912:

Nicole, you are such a great advocate for Nick! Awesome! I think there are lots of good things that were accomplished at the meeting WTG! 

I'd actually follow up in a month to see how the transitions with support are going as a way to judge if this is something helpful for him... I'd also TRY while you're in preschool to figure out if a 1:1 may be beneficial for next year.. So IF the transitions are going GREAT with the support... (I know this will be rough, but try to take it away) to see how he fares without that support... This smaller fishbowl is where you want to experiment.... See if you can figure out if next year 1:1 is something you want to push for based on supporting evidence this year... 

Or if things are going so well with supervised transitions, perhaps THAT is proof enough? But after dealing with school districts,,, I'm guessing nope... ;) 

dawncs
by Dawn on Jan. 15, 2015 at 10:51 AM

I hate when this happens on a reaction because it is a legal liability when it comes to Autistic runners depending on their characteristics. There are some good articles on it at www.autismspeaks.org.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
Inherited genetic Metabolic Syndrome diagnosed August 2014 (maternal side)
My Author Page

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)