Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ABA update

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:00 PM
  • 11 Replies

Today was the first ABA session ..... it took a week for the supervisor to form a program instead of the couple of days I thought it would take. But that's okay, we're started now. The supervisor who did the testing came out with the therapist they want to pair with my daughter. I'm not sure how I feel about the therapist ... she seemed a little low energy compared to the BCBA and that worries me a bit. But I can't really decide what I think based off today as the BCBA was coaching her through the session so she didn't get to do much for herself. We'll see how tomorrow goes when she's on her own.

They actually want me to really be involved, watching and listening and letting them know whenever my daughter does something that they don't understand but I know what it means. I like how much they want me to be involved. It will definitely help me to follow through with everything when they aren't here. But I'm afraid the therapist may try to lean on me too much ...... I am paying them, they are the experts in this technique, I certainly hope they don't expect me to do their job.

Overall though, the day went well. Cheyanne didn't last the whole time. They spoke with me about the therapy plan, then started building a repoire with her, but she still couldn't make it even with the time she was left alone at the beginning. But everyone was okay with that and the BCBA said they'd just try to add on more time each day until we get to the full 3 hours. Also, her overall referral of hours was 30 hours a week. We will probably never do that amount but she said she's leaving it open so that we could if we ever chose to. And once a relationship has been built and they really start digging in to all the goals, they said they may do some evening and weekend sessions.

So I'm excited to get this underway and it was really nice seeing my daughter with them today. She was animated and running around and okay with them being there ..... such a drastic difference from when the ECI therapists would come and she'd spend half the time trying to hide from them.

The one really frustrating thing is my close friend in my play group. Sorry, but there really isn't time in our lives for playdates now ..... I need my daughter to learn how to learn and interact with her peers. She's not learning that at playdates. This is more important. My friend is upset about that. While I love her to pieces and love that she treats Cheyanne no different than any other child, she's never really acknowledged how far behind Cheyanne is ..... and she doesn't seem to understand that Cheyanne doesn't ever get much out of being at playdates. I just wish she understood why it has to be this way.

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:07 PM

,lkkjimuhyjuio9k8uo09ip8;'/p."
?00000001145414411111001

\]p'po0ioi8trgfre43w3q

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM

happy dance

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama, but you shouldn't have to give your play dates up.  Just work it into ABA as social/peer play, and have them schedule in some weekly time to work in peer interaction, turn taking, play, etc with an actual peer.  It is much different than interactions with adults.  The center should be able to work it in as well as things in the community you want her to learn to do; eat in restaurants, go to movies, etc.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:22 PM

She is staying in preschool so she's getting alot of peer interaction there. And yeah, later on the therapist will go to community things with us, maybe even playdates, but that will take time. A baseline has to be created first. I never meant that playdates wouldn't happen ever again, they just aren't going to happen for the forseeable future. We have to figure out this routine ... how this fits in our lives, before I add extras. 

And we can do playdates on the weekends ..... this friend though doesn't do anything with the playgroup on the weekends. Not usually anyways .... she reserves that for family time, and I'm fine with that. We simply won't see each other during kid playdates for quite a while. I can still see her when our kids are in school though. She has her son in preschool 2 days a week .... I can see her then.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Hugs mama, but you shouldn't have to give your play dates up.  Just work it into ABA as social/peer play, and have them schedule in some weekly time to work in peer interaction, turn taking, play, etc with an actual peer.  It is much different than interactions with adults.  The center should be able to work it in as well as things in the community you want her to learn to do; eat in restaurants, go to movies, etc.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Glad it's coming together :) 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:33 PM
Lol

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

,lkkjimuhyjuio9k8uo09ip8;'/p."?00000001145414411111001

\]p'po0ioi8trgfre43w3q

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:34 PM
I don't know much about ABA but this sounds like a great idea!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:52 PM

I know everyone's ABA is different based on the child, but my kids need to be taught EVERYTHING, so we do it all!  Pretend play, block building, board games, turn taking, peer language/interactions, playground safety, climbing, functional routines, sibling issues.  You name it, my kids probably need to learn it, and thankfully our therapist is up for it all!

Quoting mypbandj: I don't know much about ABA but this sounds like a great idea!
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:56 PM

Yes, I can see needing some baseline time and building her time in the program.  I forget we skipped that phase since we knew our therapist.  I'm sure Chey will do great!  I hope this is a huge success for you!  Hoping day two goes great!

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

She is staying in preschool so she's getting alot of peer interaction there. And yeah, later on the therapist will go to community things with us, maybe even playdates, but that will take time. A baseline has to be created first. I never meant that playdates wouldn't happen ever again, they just aren't going to happen for the forseeable future. We have to figure out this routine ... how this fits in our lives, before I add extras. 

And we can do playdates on the weekends ..... this friend though doesn't do anything with the playgroup on the weekends. Not usually anyways .... she reserves that for family time, and I'm fine with that. We simply won't see each other during kid playdates for quite a while. I can still see her when our kids are in school though. She has her son in preschool 2 days a week .... I can see her then.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

MixedCooke
by Group Admin on Jan. 21, 2015 at 1:57 AM

I have a meeting with an aurtism group but it isnt until March, but I have a meeting on Thursday at an autism center/school that can maybe help me more while I am there rather than waiting until March. Our first IEP meeting is in February.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)