Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so we've decided (update on medication)

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

We as a family decided we will NOT be trying anymore ADHD medication for Izzy. I know not all will cause the reaction we got with the Focalin, but I'm good with chancing it. Izzy is doing quite well now that we have stopped the meds... she has not attacked us verbally/physically since the end of the medication, her rash is gone and so arent her low grade fevers. imagine that!

We are going to make the school be more accountable for what is going on there.. they will do right by Izzy without me drugging her up for their comfort. I want a REAL behavior plan in place, I want daily communication, and if they are unable to keep up with that demand, then hire an aid for her that can. there are other concerns that will be addressed, and I'm done being that push over mom... I KNOW my daughter, and I am feeling better about voicing that :)

Thank you ladies for all of your replies to my other post reguarding medicating for ADHD, all of your thoughts helped me in my process of making a decision :)

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Good luck!  When is the school meeting?

only_1_4_me
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Good luck!  When is the school meeting?

Im not sure yet. If I dont have the information by thursday, then I am going to jump on it. (her therapist was contacting the school about the meeting, but apparently nothing has come through yet, and I will just have to initiate this.)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

So glad you figured it all out!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like ou have a plan in place. :) I think you're train of thought is quite reasonable... You're looking to accommodate her needs enviornmentally,,.. In the hopes those changes will be beneficial. The idea that our children should be medicated to "save the district time, money and effort " is truly bizarre right? 

I mean, once you've exhausted everything else, then I can see looking into solving the issue via meds... But it shouldn't be the first pass and it seemed to me like the school just wanted you to acquiesce... 

Glad you're feeling like a good advocate for initiating change!! :) 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
That sounds like a great plan! The school cannOT force you to medicate your child. You're right, they're just going to have to figure this out. Hugs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:55 PM
Good luck.

My sons teacher sends home a daily report sheet of behavior for activities along with a notes section for any comment. It's really helped out. Maybe they could do something for you
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 21, 2015 at 4:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck mama!!!

only_1_4_me
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 6:46 AM

Quoting lilmama8408: Good luck. My sons teacher sends home a daily report sheet of behavior for activities along with a notes section for any comment. It's really helped out. Maybe they could do something for you

we used to have a simple communication sheet that came home... all they had to do was circle whether she was on task or not, if she had any behaivor issues, and if she did write a quick comment on what it was... they got "too busy, didnt have time" to fill that out :( so, I'm going to take another stab at it.

lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 7:09 AM
I get one daily and I have to sign and return it. We use them to aid in IEP meetings

Quoting only_1_4_me:

Quoting lilmama8408: Good luck. My sons teacher sends home a daily report sheet of behavior for activities along with a notes section for any comment. It's really helped out. Maybe they could do something for you

we used to have a simple communication sheet that came home... all they had to do was circle whether she was on task or not, if she had any behaivor issues, and if she did write a quick comment on what it was... they got "too busy, didnt have time" to fill that out :( so, I'm going to take another stab at it.

Morrigan333
by Member on Jan. 22, 2015 at 11:41 AM

I've never drugged my kid up for their convenience. I feel like hey, your teachers wanted to teach..they teach EVERYONE even the oneds that have differences, and I'm not going to screw up my kid by drugging her to make it EASIER for you guys to teach her." If you're so damn "qualified teachers", then damn  it, I shouldn't have to..you do your job and I'll do mine, mine is to make sure you people do YOURS. I

It's a full time damn job ladies isn't it???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)