• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 12 year old beautiful autistic boy

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:27 AM
  • 9 Replies
I would like to know does any other mother have a problem with your autistic child sleeping?
Devin can go for days without sleep...when I was younger I was able to bounce back but here lately I seem not to be able to..with everything I go through with devin with devin....this seems to be the hardest...I know family is like what the non sleep is what gets to u..the reason they say that is because devin is very violent....I have had my of black eyes...well I really don't want to go into a lot of details on that..cause it's pretty bad....aanyway any bout the sleep has anyone found something that could help...I've tried over the counter meds...and prescription
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Macphee
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:29 PM
Ds was like that too. I would keep him up, no naps allowed. Get him plenty of exercise. I literally made my son walk 2-3 miles so he would sleep. Get him a routine that works and be consistent. Having transition time with timers from story/play time and lights out helps.

Also try classical music, warm baths, rub lavender oil/lotion on his back. Tuck him in, stick around maybe rubbing his head or scratching his hair.

The violent behavior may be just sleep deprivation. Have you spoken with his ot, maybe some sensory activities might help. Ds loves brushing and joint compression. He is also very rough.
Ralgj
by April on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:33 PM
My son is 4 and has had some sleep issues in the past so I get it. No sleep is rough. Does he not go to sleep or does he not sleep well? Does he get up early?
magmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:45 PM
Micah (9) has had more and more problems sleeping. I worry it's the medicine we put him on but that med keeps him from vomiting so frequently so I'm not changing it if I can help it.

He uses melatonin to help him sleep but it isn't that helpful at keeping him asleep overnight, he's so sleepy he falls asleep when he gets home and I try to rouse him but it's impossible like hes knocked out. It's scary. And makes nighttime rough to sleep. Good luck. Sorry I have no advice, just empathy.
shamela
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 5:22 PM
Thank for all the help
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:43 PM

Ashton loves to sleep, as long as he is on routine. If his routine gets thrown off it can mess up his sleep as well. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:43 PM
And welcome to the group :)
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:53 AM

after reading this from all of you i realize that i am very lucky with jayden he loves his sleep and (knock on wood) has never really had any issues with it.

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Feb. 1, 2015 at 4:51 AM
Fortunately my 8 year old has no issues with sleeping.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:36 PM
Welcome and hugs!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)