Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Needs suggestions

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:35 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi to every one,

I am not sure if you remember my story or not. My son is 3.8 y old with mild (high functioning) autism. Since few monhs ago we started different interventations. I even quit my job to spend more time with him. He goes to the school for typical neurodevelopmental kids 3-4 hours a day and he is fine there the only problem is socialization. I should say thank god he does not have much behavior issues. Somedays he does really well with talking and communication that makes me happy and hopeful; however, some days I think why I am doing these interventions, theis is just waste of time, he does not communicate with other people. Today he was so tired and was not listening to me, I cried a lot and I thoght may be I have to put him in the schools which are full time and the kids live in the school the whole day and come home only in weekends. Again I am not sure if it is a good fit for him especially as he is too young. Does anyone have experience with these types of schools? We don't have any family around and sometimes the siuaton become untolerable for us and I am sure when he gets older it would be even worse. appreciate your help if you had experience with these schools.

Thank you

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:18 AM

Hugs mama!  I'm not familiar with those types of schools, but give yourself a break.  You're doing a great job, and trying to do the best you can.  How long has he been at the school?

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:27 AM

I'm sorry, I'm confused, so I feel I can't give you fair suggestions. 

He is FINE in a neurotypical school for 3/4 hours a day. Except he isn't talking to them, but he is talking to you. He is 3.8. 

By not talking, do you mean NO speech- or limited speech? 

What interventions are you trying? Speech therapy? OT? PT? Sensory? 

His behaviors at school are fine... But he is acting out terribly for you at home? 

Macphee
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:57 AM
Take a breath.

Our kids can get overwhelming. Moms have to take care of themselves too. While he's at school that is your time for yourself. It is easy to get burned out.

He is very young. What therapies does he receive? He sounds as if he does okay, he may need some ABA? Sensory activities?
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM
I'm sorry. Maybe you can find a a full day program for him next year to give you more of a break. He's probably worse for you at home because you are his safe place. Also, 3 and 4 year olds are hard!
You might also research to see if their are any parenting classes nearby for you to learn some parenting tricks. I took as many parenting classes as I could when my kids were young! It made me feel much more confident at what I was doing and helped me set reasonable expectations. I think many times that I hear a mom or dad complain about their child's behavior that it's the parent that has to adjust their expectations (I work with parents for my job).
Also maybe a face to face autism support group in your town would be helpful.
And of course US!! Come vent here anytime! I do that lots. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Hugs. Those types of schools are great place to practice skills once he has developed some social skills, but are not the place for him to learn them. He needs explicit teaching. Initial learning of skills is best done with an adult the child has bonded to. Which sounds like you. See if you can get one of Sally Rogers books from you library system.

emarin77
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:37 AM

My son went to a public pre school full time.  He also is high functioning too.  He did very well the first two years of it and went to Kindergarten without any problems.  I suggest have your child go to a public preschool where he can receive an IEP and other services like speech/language therapy specifically for his needs.  These services will greatly assist your child in learning.

Arezoo1
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Hi every body! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am so lucky to have such great friends. Your replies were very helpful. FYI, my son is receiving ABA, Speach therapy, floor time (from next month) and possibly OT if our insurance agrees to cover. 

By putting him in the full day schools, I meant the schools that kids stay there for the whole week and you meet them in weekends. I thought in that case he would have a routine schedule and can receive all the therapies in the school. Some of my friends with the typical kids have choosen this option for different reasons; some of them are single mom and have a full time job. For me that is not the case, I just sometimes feel overwhelmed and think that I can not continue this situation for many years. I am sure you know, it is a very chronic and frustrating process.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)