Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have a severely autistic child.

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:44 AM
  • 21 Replies

Hello ladies,

i was wondering if you take them to restaurants?

i take mine and he is difficult but I endure because I want him to go to be apart of what his family does together.

he is 5 does it get easier?

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I have three SN kiddos, so we do not restaurant out often, period.  But when we have to, yes my severe child goes most of the time.  She is 6.5, and can be a gem or a handful in those moments.  But I'm hopeful with the exposure one day she'll understand what is expected in restaurants and be able to eat a meal there.

.beautifulrose.
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this
My son is almost 8, nonverbal, severe autism. We go out to eat a few times a week. Going out to eat is one of my son's favorite things to do. He is usually very well behaved.

I think going out to eat often since he was a baby has definitely helped us teach him proper behavior. Going out became normal for him. It also helps that he loves to get out of the house and he loves to eat, so he behaves or else he wouldn't get to go.

We practiced lining up, using utensils, coping with noise, carrying a plate, etc. during summers at the local high school's free lunch program. I would take him there after his summer sessions. It is the perfect place to practice because his problematic behaviors weren't noticed by a cafeteria full of summer camp kids... and of course it was free! By the second summer, my son knew exactly what was expected of him. He would even clean his mess and throw away his tray by himself. I would highly suggest doing the same with your child if you can find a free lunch program in your area this summer.
mommyof7921
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow that is amazing. Thank you so much for being so helpful.

when I take my son out to eat he will grab at the food on the table and eat off everyone's plate:(.

Quoting .beautifulrose.: My son is almost 8, nonverbal, severe autism. We go out to eat a few times a week. Going out to eat is one of my son's favorite things to do. He is usually very well behaved. I think going out to eat often since he was a baby has definitely helped us teach him proper behavior. Going out became normal for him. It also helps that he loves to get out of the house and he loves to eat, so he behaves or else he wouldn't get to go. We practiced lining up, using utensils, coping with noise, carrying a plate, etc. during summers at the local high school's free lunch program. I would take him there after his summer sessions. It is the perfect place to practice because his problematic behaviors weren't noticed by a cafeteria full of summer camp kids... and of course it was free! By the second summer, my son knew exactly what was expected of him. He would even clean his mess and throw away his tray by himself. I would highly suggest doing the same with your child if you can find a free lunch program in your area this summer.

Ralgj
by April on Feb. 18, 2015 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
We try to go out every so often but not anywhere nice just incase he decides to be loud with protest about being there. With my son I don't ever know how he will behave because it's always changing. We could go somewhere one time with no problems and the next time he could have a meltdown and hate it. We never go anywhere we can't leave in a hurry.
mommyof7921
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

How old is your son and how do you handle it if people stare?  

Quoting Ralgj: We try to go out every so often but not anywhere nice just incase he decides to be loud with protest about being there. With my son I don't ever know how he will behave because it's always changing. We could go somewhere one time with no problems and the next time he could have a meltdown and hate it. We never go anywhere we can't leave in a hurry.

Ralgj
by April on Feb. 18, 2015 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is 4. I used to be really bothered by people staring. I have started ignoring it. I figure if we go to a place that is loud and not fancy they can deal with it. We don't do movies or libraries or places I feel people deserve quietness and respect. I take lots of distractions wherever we go to. Stickers, snacks, kindle, books, crayons.
Are you bothered by staring? I try to avoid eye contact with people. Then I don't notice as much. I'm not sure if that's the right attitude to have but it helps me.

Quoting mommyof7921:

How old is your son and how do you handle it if people stare?  

Quoting Ralgj: We try to go out every so often but not anywhere nice just incase he decides to be loud with protest about being there. With my son I don't ever know how he will behave because it's always changing. We could go somewhere one time with no problems and the next time he could have a meltdown and hate it. We never go anywhere we can't leave in a hurry.

shugerbit
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We have always done it, he has recently become very well behaved. I bring his Ipad, and he likes to play with the silverware. He is 4 and nonverbal. We don't really go to fancy places, usually friendliest, Applebee's, chilis, or the 99. He points to what he wants sometimes.

jesusrocks2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I have three SN kiddos, so we do not restaurant out often, period.  But when we have to, yes my severe child goes most of the time.  She is 6.5, and can be a gem or a handful in those moments.  But I'm hopeful with the exposure one day she'll understand what is expected in restaurants and be able to eat a meal there.

God bless you. You are doing abunch of rosesn amazing job . Keep up woohoothe great work . We are rooting for you.way to go

Yamilajigsaw ribbonamerican flag ribbon

jesusrocks2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Your main concern is your son and not what other people think or say . If you worry about that then you will go crazy. 

jesusrocks2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

You are doing great . Keep it up . You have to stay positive and think that there are other parents out there like yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)