Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help....My son and I need sleep!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:16 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son is going to be 3 in MAy and has autism.  He is having bad problems sleeping.  Any of you out there with kids with autism have any suggestions?  Benadryl puts him to sleep but doesn't keep him asleep.  Melatonin seems to have an opposite effect, which I've heard just give it some time.  He definitley needs something to KEEP him asleep.  Has no problems falling asleep.  HELP!!!

Thank you!

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Hunger and pain/sensory issues are the most common reasons for kids to wake up. Does he have GI issues?

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Yes, we are just finding this out.  We are having some testing done this coming week.

by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Maybe a weighted blanket?

by April on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:55 PM
Can you tell me a little more about what he does when he gets up? What time does he go to bed? What time does he get up? Where does he sleep? Does he fall asleep on his own?
My son is 4 and we have had some issues and finally have things back on track. Give me some more info and I will see if it is like my son and maybe I can tell you some things we do to help.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 6:59 PM
We use 3mg of melatonin for our child. I'm also requesting a sleep study of some sort to aid bc this dose is no longer really helping and 3mg is ready an adult dose
by Jen on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I can share my story if my son waking up. I have three kids and only my youngest did this.
My older kids did wake up to nurse until they they weaned but they always feel back asleep easiky. My youngest would get up to play. :-0

At first we were so worried he was sick. We got up, tried to feed him, etc but I soon realized that wasn't the issue. He wanted TV and to play. And I'd heard that some kids did that, that they woke up in the middle of the night to watch movies. <----- and that was not going to happen at my mouse! Lol
I'm a co sleeping type of mom who doesn't believe in CIO but when my son started this waking up at midnight stuff, I let him cry. It was so hard!
He was in my room and because he wouldn't stay by me and refused to lie back down or nurse, I put him in the playpen that was also in my room and then laid down to pretend I was asleep. He screamed! And it felt like hours but wasn't and I eventually got him when he was ready to lie back down to sleep. He quickly quit waking up like that!
Fast forward a few months or so and he tried it again. This time he would stay by me (so I didn't need the playpen) and I again, pretened to sleep. He sat there and cried. And when he tried to get up, I told him no. I also refused to turn the tv on.
I really feel that for us, the tough love approach (not letting him up) worked. If he wanted to stay awake all night long next to me quietly but not playing, that was ok with me. But he wasn't getting out of bed or getting TV. (I did keep water by the bed for drinks though cause even I get thirsty at night).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Darby on Feb. 19, 2015 at 5:51 AM

Hugs mama....we give my son Melatonin and that helps.  Hope you find something soon!

by Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I second the weighted blanket. Made a huge difference in our house!
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 12:44 AM

what worked for my daughter was melatonin and a weighted blanket...the melatonin got her to sleep and the weight seems to keep her asleep....its just something she needs....her laying under the couch cushions to watch tv is what gave me the idea. 

by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 1:00 AM
My DS always had issues sleeping. Constantly getting up walking around, or talking to himself in bed. It's gotten better over the years. What has helped us is a weighted blanket, noise machine, very dim night light, and no stimulation before bed i.e. TV, video games etc. some nights if those fail melatonin. It's not fail proof but is better.
Hugs momma!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)