Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WOW!!! I think I'm dreaming!

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM
  • 29 Replies
10 moms liked this

I don't want to jinx myself, but I feel we've finally turned a corner on a very long road.  My son is 6.5, and since age 2 he has been on sensory overload.  He lost his verbal communication and replaced it with a scream.  A never ending scream for many days and years.  He became so scared and anxious of everywhere we often could not take him out.  Sounds, lights, business, crowds, noise level, food tastes/textures, everything was just too much.  When we did go out, it was awful, and we prepared for the worst.  Weve been in a variety of therapy since six months old, would it all be worth it?

This year, every holiday went well.  The last three movies have all been a success without any screaming or me carrying him in and out.  We went to two new restaurants this month where he waited patiently and actually ate their food, new food.  Saturday my SIL had extra tickets to a children's play and asked if we would go.  I'd normally say no, but thought let's try.  I did not know they were in the front row.  I was not prepared for the huge crowds or parking two blocks away with my runner.  And my son was awesome.  He did not hide, scream, and beg to leave.  He watched, raised his hand for a turn to talk (didn't get the questions were retorical, lol), and wanted to participate.  At breaks, he went up introducing himself to people. "Hi, I'm Will.  Where is your house."  We stood in line for cookies, and they ran out one family before us.  The NT kids in the line lost it, but my son was unfazed.  Who is this kid, I thought and where is my little boy.  

We leave the play, and I decide to hit Walmart on the way home.  Half way through I panic, what was I thinking?  Walmart on a Saturday?  Walmart, the anti autism store with the bright lights, crowds, long lines, and busy isles.  The store my son loathes and most panics in.  When did I get to the point I could do anything on a whim without huge advanced planning and think it would go well?  He was a perfect angel.  Not a peep the whole trip.  Even after home I waited for the meltdown, but it never came.

Sunday should have been a recoup and veg day for him.  After all, I'd pushed my limits the day before.  He's in his happy place; pjs, ipad, Cars movie on tv, blanket.  I tell him I'm taking his brother and sister to church and will be back in an hour and a half.  He does not like it there, crowded, loud music, have to sit still.  He ASKES to go and runs off to get dressed.  The boy that lives in pjs and always tries to leave the house in them.  So we go on the fly, nothing prepared, no visuals in hand.  And he's a rock star!  I bring him home and push again with a food he does not like for lunch.  It is not his favorite texture, and a food he would historically gag on.  And he eats, no gag, no complaint.

finally I call uncle.  I've pushed, and pushed all weekend and never found his sensory threshold.  The one that use to never let us leave the house.  When did we get to the point we could just 'go' on a whim?  Who is this angelic, happy, boy in new places, and where is my little terrified screamer?  Will it be this way everyday?  No.  We will falter.  There will still be days.  But to look at where we were for soooo long, and see where he is now amazes me.  I never thought I would see this day.  I need to pinch myself and wake up, but I don't  want to.  Good things can happen ladies, hang in there!!

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samomama
by Sally on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

This here is a perfect example... there are no limits to what the kids are able to achieve.

I am happy for you, momma, and so proud of your son!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Go will!!!!!! I'm so happy!!!! 

bouncingThat's sooo awesome! WTG for him and you and your family!!!! 

This was lovely to read!!!!!! 

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I loved reading this!!!

You go will!
saengchwi
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm cheering for your son! It sounds like he's crossed a thershold and the world is opening up for him...I bet hes going to find a lot to love in it!

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

That is AWESOME.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:09 PM

I sure hope so!  He has a lot of exploring to make up for!

Quoting saengchwi:

I'm cheering for your son! It sounds like he's crossed a thershold and the world is opening up for him...I bet hes going to find a lot to love in it!

magmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I am so excited for him and for you! this is wonderful news!
Mommy2fourchics
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
This gives me a little bit of hope... I've had a very rough day! Thank you for this!!!! Oh and go Will!
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM

I'm sorry you had a rough day!  I hope tomorrow is a better one!!  Hugs!

Quoting Mommy2fourchics: This gives me a little bit of hope... I've had a very rough day! Thank you for this!!!! Oh and go Will!

Mommy2fourchics
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM
Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I'm sorry you had a rough day!  I hope tomorrow is a better one!!  Hugs!

Quoting Mommy2fourchics: This gives me a little bit of hope... I've had a very rough day! Thank you for this!!!! Oh and go Will!

thank you! It means more then you know!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)