Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your neighbors/ community

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:45 PM
  • 29 Replies

what are they like? Are you friends with anyone in your neighborhood? How do they react to you having a child/dren on the spectrum? What is your community like?

I just love my little neighborhood and most of my neighbors.  We are good friends with our next door neighbor on my right (our daughters are best friends).. Tomorrow she is watching all 3 of my kids so we can go to a funeral during the day. They are the best..we carpool, watch each others kids and pets and look out for each other. The neighbor on our left..they are nice and they have a boy around my youngest sons age and they are starting to pal together. Everyone in our town has been very nice to Ashton and even though he doesn't have any friends his age he is really comfortable here.. We have another friend just down the street that ran out and got me diapers during a snow storm when my husband was out of town..she  rocks and is so good with Ashton ..he likes to walk with her and talk to her when she walks her dog. We moved here almost 8 years ago before Ashton was dx and have been open about his autism and our neighbors have been, for the most part, understanding and very kind to him. My only wish is that he could make friends with some of the boys his age in the neighborhood and its no tthat they don't try but Ashton shows very little interest in playing with them since he prefers talking to adults and is content with his select group of friends from church and school..but I keep hoping there will that one kid..

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:13 PM

We say hello to neighbors if we see them outside.  But I don't think anyone knows about my kids.  My oldest has friends in the neighborhood he plays with, but that is it.  Community?  Well, we get a lot of stares, but sometimes I think that is the quantity of stuff I bring to the table, not the individual pieces.  I'm sure they just see drama, lol.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Boo for the stares even if you do have your hands full. I feel like our community is still old fashioned and I worry that it will one day change..it's still a safe friendly place but its one of the only places I ever lived that felt this way to me. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

We say hello to neighbors if we see them outside.  But I don't think anyone knows about my kids.  My oldest has friends in the neighborhood he plays with, but that is it.  Community?  Well, we get a lot of stares, but sometimes I think that is the quantity of stuff I bring to the table, not the individual pieces.  I'm sure they just see drama, lol.

Cadilacgirl_37
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:20 PM

We live in a apartment complex and so far everybody seems to mind their own buisness thank goodness. We really don't talk to anybody. There is one neighbor we chat with occassionally but other than that we really don't know our other neighbors.

magmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:23 PM
That is so great. It's a beautiful neighborhood. mine is very nice. We have nice neighbors but we aren't nearly as close. Actually we are all acquaintances that have each other's ph9ne numbers for our kids sake And we wave as we drive by. I'm terrible at making friends. I only have one friend as close as that. What a blessing.

There are several boys micahs age that he used to play with. They started leaving him behind in their games and I'm pretty sure they began making fun of him. so he plays alone mostly.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

That's good.   I lived in an apartment complex years ago..way before kids..with a mean old lady who yelled at me all of the time. I can't imagine how she would have treated Ashton :/

Quoting Cadilacgirl_37:

We live in a apartment complex and so far everybody seems to mind their own buisness thank goodness. We really don't talk to anybody. There is one neighbor we chat with occassionally but other than that we really don't know our other neighbors.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry to hear that aobut Micah and can relate..kids Ashton used to play with (not in my neighborhood) seemed to have outgrown him years ago or forgot aobut him.. Most of my neighbors are just friendly acquaintances and there are some odd ones  as well lol

Quoting magmommy: That is so great. It's a beautiful neighborhood. mine is very nice. We have nice neighbors but we aren't nearly as close. Actually we are all acquaintances that have each other's ph9ne numbers for our kids sake And we wave as we drive by. I'm terrible at making friends. I only have one friend as close as that. What a blessing. There are several boys micahs age that he used to play with. They started leaving him behind in their games and I'm pretty sure they began making fun of him. so he plays alone mostly.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:33 PM

I think part of it is me.  I'm very protective and private of the kids, so I don't make a lot of eye contact with strangers or try to make connections.  I have trust issues with new people.  I'm just worrying about getting all the kids through whatever we're doing.  The stares don't bother me Anymore. The people that knew us pre trips I'm fine with, but new I'm afraid of the ulterior motive.

Quoting Charizma77:

Boo for the stares even if you do have your hands full. I feel like our community is still old fashioned and I worry that it will one day change..it's still a safe friendly place but its one of the only places I ever lived that felt this way to me. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:34 PM
We are in a very rural area. So, there aren't mAny neighbors. There were great neighbors up the road their son is a couple yes younger than my 15 yr old niece. But I feel like they have distanced theirselves since I told them about Nick. All the other neighbors, I say hi when I see them but that's it. There is a woman at the end of the road. She is a teacher at the middle school. She has offered to help me and one day the bus came early. When I got there she was showing the bus driver her school ID, and said she was going to bring Nick to me. She is the closest of anyone outside the family to accept my little boy. That's pitiful huh?
Cadilacgirl_37
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:43 PM

Yea, we've been lucky so far. We are planning on moving to a different place possibly this June because we need more room since we only live in a one bedroom apartment and also the rent is just too expensive for what we pay. The place we live in isn't even worth the rent we pay. We pay $650.00 a month. If we choose to stay than in June our Rent will go up to $660.00 a month and it's not worth it.

That had to of S***'d big time when you had to deal with that crabby mean old lady. Sorry you had to go through that. Old people can be the worst when it comes to patience and understanding sometimes. I mean not all old people are like that but a good majority can seem like that sometimes. Ya know though, if she would've treated your DS that way, than you would've had every right to stand up for your son. As a Mom, I sure wouldn't put up with someone like that. Infact, get this, at the last place  my Fiance and I rented at we had two elderly neighbors that lived below us. They weren't friendly or nice people at all. They would act nice to peoples faces including fiance and myself and then would complain and B***h to the landlord when they didn't like something. Landlord always took their side. There was one time I was watching a former friends DD and the little girl was doing what kids do and was playing and walking around a lot. Well as I was babysitting the elderly man came up to my place and knocked on the door and when I opened the door was having a fit about the noise. I went off on him and told him to leave and to stop harrassing me. I actually called the police to file a complaint on his harassment. The police came but ended up giving me the attitude. I thought omg for real. Then we had a situation during winter where we were shoveling snow off of our Balcony and that same elderly couple complained to the landlord, we got a call from the landlord screaming at us how she just shoveled the area below us blah blah blah(ya get what I'm saying). I then sped walked to the apartment of those elderly people(Neighbors) and gave them a piece of my mind cause my fiance and I had it at that moment. Enough was Enough. That elderly couple for goodness sake would literally complain and accuse us of stomping when we walked on our own floor. They were CRAY CRAY lets put it that way. Then that spring we(Fiance and Myself) were kicked out of our own Apartment unit. I was pregnant with my DS at the time. In Hind sight though, it was good we were asked to leave because with DS and his massive tantrums hes having right now and melt downs, I can only imagine what we would be subject too if we were still living at the old place :( This was 3 years ago, but it's something Fiance and I will never forget :(

Quoting Charizma77:

That's good.   I lived in an apartment complex years ago..way before kids..with a mean old lady who yelled at me all of the time. I can't imagine how she would have treated Ashton :/

Quoting Cadilacgirl_37:

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:48 PM
My neighbors are ok. Just ok.
Ppl on my left are the nicest and they have a grown DD.
On the right is a lesbian couple. They don't talk to me unless it's a rare occasion. They're older.
Across the street is an older lady, she is nice. She has her garage set up to be a yard sale 24/7. It looks like a boutique. She's always paining furniture and rearranging stuff in there. It's here store. Lol
The other ppl across the street we never see. They have teens who have 100000 friends who apparently all live there and park in front of my house. It's very annoying.
Then there's a family who has two kids. Once their boy in kinder came home on the bus by mistake. They weren't even home! I was outside and helped him. Called his mom and they rushed home. They never even thanked me. They don't even let their kids out to play. They're just weird.
Two doors down to the left is a family with 2 boys. Like 6 & 8. The older one will play with liam and is nice. The 6 yr old is mean and manipulative and we don't trust him. There's another fam 2 doors down the other way with 6 yr olds. Maybe they're 7? They're ok. They play with the other boys I mentioned. Liam wants to play with them so bad but they don't really want to play with him. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)