Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not crazy! we have an iep!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:29 PM
  • 6 Replies
Just a reminder- the school has been refusing testing for 2 years. They required him to fail 3 "tier" levels (3 nine week reporting periods) before suggeEting testing. his teachers all insisted that he never talked baby talk, was completely engaged, had to be redirected sometimes but always did his work no problem at h0me and they couldnt understand his difficulties at h9me with homework and aggression. the L.A. teacher has been difficult to work with arguing that he's smart so he should be able to do it, she didn't want to modify his homework.

Then the school psychologist was br0ught in and immediately understood the whole deal. She scheduled testing! And surprise, now it comes to light that baby talk is a big problem for him and his whole 0physical presence makes writing difficult and sensory issues disruptive (bright lights and loud noises). He is withdrawn from his peers, doesn't maintain eye contact, chews on anything he can, has awkward social skills and on and on. He refuses to do classwork often and is defiant with the teachers in other areas. REALLY? Wow, who would have th9ught?

So the OUTCOME-

we didn't have to talk at all. Everything we wanted was already on the table.

He will have 2 days a week speech for the pragmatics. He's gonna do the lunch bunch where she has a small group for lunch to work on the social cues. This also helps him get out of the l0ud cafeteria some.

He will have 1 day a week OT

He will have a 30 min pull out sp-ed class, and the sped teacher will also be in his gen-ed class.

I also love that the sped teacher will be the one to help modify his homework rather than the teachers who totally don't get it (mainly the L.A. teacher).

I was actually sh0cked that there was as much need as there is. After the others had been so insistent everything was fine and normal. But he is going to start these services as soon as he goes back to school. That may be a while though since once again there is snow and ice moving into our area as I write this. Then next week is scheduled to be spring break (ironically)

I SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! (about the iep, not the snow, lol)
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
RainbowPetals
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 7:34 PM

That's awesome news!  I am so happy for you!!

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Mar. 4, 2015 at 8:27 PM

Wow. I hope the school psychologist gave those teachers a piece of her mind. She had to have been upset for your son to immediately say we are testing him ... and for him to get so many services.

Can't wait to hear the progress he makes now that he'll be getting the support he needs!!

I was thankful for the school psychologist when my daughter was tested. Despite the fact that I had a medical diagnosis of autism, the diagnostician told me on testing day that she wasn't sure my daughter would qualify for the autism disability code. Well, the psychologist sure showed her otherwise when her testing results showed my daughter falling in the SEVERE range of autism in most categories. Yeah .... we have that disability code. No fight was needed for that one, lol.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Awesome... And how frustrating and validating!! 

:) glad they are moving so quick to begin help! Here's hoping things improve all around!!! :) 

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Great.  Glad you got it!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Oh..I was just asking in your other post lol.. Glad it went well and you got what you wanted :)

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Great news! It's always good to get someone in your corner who really knows the score.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)