Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will you go for the second child if you have a child on the spectrum?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:14 PM
  • 29 Replies
I have a 4 year old son who is on the spectrum. He is a mild case (high functioning). I am not working at this point and it is a good time to have the second baby. We did genetic testing which was negative. How many of you had a courage to go for second baby?
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM

I'm not having anymore, but that is due more to having four kids, with three SN triplets.  I'm just done!

Macphee
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:45 PM
I had a second baby. It's scary, but honestly think of the reasons why you want to have a baby more so.
lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:03 PM
Our oldest is autistic and we have two others
Charizma77
by Carissa on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:28 PM

2nd baby was 1 when Ashton was dx.. I did however, have a 3rd baby when Ashton was 7 and my dd was 5.. Only my oldest is on the spectrum. Hubby just got a vasectomy so we are done! 

Happy0064
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Our second one was 4 when we found out about our oldest- but we were happy with 2

lwalker270
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:42 PM

I did.  He's a great kid and is completely neurotypical.  

I can't imagine my life without him.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:52 PM
I think you can't live your life based on fear. If you want another baby you may regret not having one.

That being said, I would not be brave enough to take the chance. I am not sure I could raise another child.
Ralgj
by April on Mar. 15, 2015 at 6:56 PM
My 8 y/o is NT and my 4 y/o old is on the spectrum. We will not be having anymore. If we would have had my youngest first I don't think we would have had anymore. But that's just how me and my DH feel. If you are ready for another baby try not to worry about the possibilities. My youngest consumes so much of our time and energy I don't think I have any to spare for another child.I love my kids and would do anything for them but for me I know I couldn't mange another. I'm sure whatever you choose will work out wonderfully.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM

This! 

Quoting lucasmadre: I think you can't live your life based on fear. If you want another baby you may regret not having one. That being said, I would not be brave enough to take the chance. I am not sure I could raise another child.

I was pregnant for a few weeks (days of knowing) before I had a miscarriage,,, but I cried in the shower a LOT in those days of knowing because I KNEW I could NOT do this again... Sam was only 5... But I COUld NOT raise another Sam... I love him, but MY hands and HEAD are FULL with him...

jesusrocks2013
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:35 PM

Working on it .

Yamilajigsaw ribbonamerican flag ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)