Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOW HAS ABA THERAPY HELPED YOUR ASD CHILD?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:04 AM
  • 7 Replies

How has ABA therapy helped your ASD child? How often do they see the ABA therapist? How long is the ABA therapy? How long have they seen an ABA therapist?

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:13 AM

My son started ABA therapy at 18 months old, and he saw his therapist 3 times/week for 2 hours each time.  He did beautifully with that for 5 years before he started an Autism school that is ABA based.

Stephw1110
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:14 AM

Ben has been doing ABA for about a year and a half now.  He goes to a therapy center daily for 3-4 hours a day.  I can't imagine where we would we be without ABA.  He was mostly non-verbal when we started.  He probably had 30 words when he started a month after his 3rd birthday and most of those he had to be prompted to say (such as what is this, what do you want).  Transitions were very hard.  He didn't play with toys or other kids.  When he entered ABA ( and preschool at the same time) his mental age diagnosis was 15-18 months.  Now, a year and half later, his mental age diagnosis is 4.5-5 years and he will be 5 in May.  He still struggles answering harder questions but he talking just as another 4 year old, actually he is much easier to understand than any other 4 year old I know.  Transitions are much better.  He does better playing in small groups of other kids but will participate with larger groups when asked.  We still have our struggles but we know how to handle it now, he knows how to handle it now.  He will more than likely "graduate" from ABA shortly after school starts in the fall (more than likely he will go to Kindergarden) as long as we don't backtrack one he starts school.  

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:49 AM

I have two that each do it 3 hours a day since July.  They started at six and will finish the day before their 9th birthday unless our state funding catches up with the federal requirements to age 21 or my therapists decides to do a different job. 

in  just a few months, the impact to my kids has been huge.  They have responded to ABA more than any method of teaching or therapy in six years.  Everything has improved in their daily function, communication, social skills, accedemics skills, behaviors, etc.  if I could only have one therapy, I'd let the rest go and keep this one.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 7:57 AM

My son didn't see his ABA therapist until he was 7. We started the summer before 3rd grade. ABA doesn't work (well, she doesn't work) for my son. BUT she as able to advocate for him to get a better school placement and advocate for him to get a speech eval and speech services.. (Which we are waiting for but it's IN the works). 

While I totally believe in positive reinforcement and looking at the situation (antecedent (what occurs before the behavior) the behavior and the concequence... I don't necessarily believe that the C can always influence the B... And all things need to be looked at... And findi an appropriate reinforcer... Is tough of my kiddo. 

Our ABA said Sam is the second hardest kid she has ever worked with... So I'm sure that kind of skews stuff... She has been doing this of Almost 25 years! 

Hottubgodess
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:45 AM

We see an ABA therapist 1 x a week for 1 hr.  Mike is 11.   It has helped him with working thru events at school - issue with gen ed teachers who dont have a clue, and peers who he struggles with.  We call it his "coaching".  Since he is older, they are also using him to work with other kids who are same age or younger who need help with peer interaction.  So he is working with kiddos with less peer skills and may even melt down (Mike is a sensory defensive).  :)  

ReachtotheStars
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:24 PM

Mine did it for a year and it was a disaster.  I feel each child is different.  After less than 6 months in a new school using pecs, the old school refused to use.  They only used ABA.  My son was talking, and now some people can't tell he is autistic.  

He actually is on the more severe end too.  He was non communacative until 3.  Meaning he used no gestures or language of anysort to get his needs met.  

MamaLauri
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

So happy to hear you found what worked for your son.

Quoting ReachtotheStars:

Mine did it for a year and it was a disaster.  I feel each child is different.  After less than 6 months in a new school using pecs, the old school refused to use.  They only used ABA.  My son was talking, and now some people can't tell he is autistic.  

He actually is on the more severe end too.  He was non communacative until 3.  Meaning he used no gestures or language of anysort to get his needs met.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)