Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bathroom

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:58 PM
  • 16 Replies
Post from another group about taking son in the restroom got me thinking. Do you take your Ds to the bathroom with you? Ds is 8 I know he can't handle the bathroom on his own. He cannot handle hand driers. He seems typical as do many of our kids, but we know. How do you handle the bathroom thing?
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:10 PM

My three SN 6.5 year olds all still go with me and will for a long time to come.  People can look all they want!  As they get bigger, I will do better about looking for one of those 'family' bathrooms.  I just don't bother most of the time yet, only if I walk by one on the way to the regular one. 

solen
by VintageMom on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:50 PM

I took my son in the bathroom for the longest time, made sure he was appropriate when he was there with me.  I see you are a Padres fan, maybe you don't know the story of a child who was murdered in the Oceanside rest stop as his aut waited outside.....think he was about 9.... So even now I would take my kiddo in with me if I don't like the situation.  and I don't care what anyone thinks.  He was in a men's room at a club pool yesterday, I was outside the door..... And I certainly don't judge others, there are STALLS in a ladies room, I don't want a female peeking at me either.  I don't see the big deal.

so I have a little quiz for you......we moved to San diego, and my son shares his first and last name with the most famous pitcher here......we never knew how popular my son's name would be.......hint...TH are his initials....LOL

jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:51 PM
My child with ASD is a girl, so I don't have to worry about this. I know it stresses my husband when he's out alone with her, but that doesn't happen too often. He just has to find family bathrooms. She could not go alone as she's also terrified of hand driers. Her 8 & 10 year old NT brothers go to the men's bathroom on their own.
jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:59 PM
Augh - I already am paranoid with my boys using the men's room. Yesterday my son wanted to use the bathroom at the beach but it made me nervous. Poor kid wouldn't go on the empty lady's room with me & there was no family room. He held it all the way home. I offered to stop at a fast food place or something but he said he could wait. I think my apprehension made him nervous.

Quoting solen:

I took my son in the bathroom for the longest time, made sure he was appropriate when he was there with me.  I see you are a Padres fan, maybe you don't know the story of a child who was murdered in the Oceanside rest stop as his aut waited outside.....think he was about 9.... So even now I would take my kiddo in with me if I don't like the situation.  and I don't care what anyone thinks.  He was in a men's room at a club pool yesterday, I was outside the door..... And I certainly don't judge others, there are STALLS in a ladies room, I don't want a female peeking at me either.  I don't see the big deal.

so I have a little quiz for you......we moved to San diego, and my son shares his first and last name with the most famous pitcher here......we never knew how popular my son's name would be.......hint...TH are his initials....LOL

t1gger143
by Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Trevor Hoffman. Lol. I live about 2 hours north of San diego. I miss it down there. I had completely forgotten about the Oceanside boy.

Quoting solen:

solen
by VintageMom on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I know your fears... What I did when my son was younger was hire my bff's son, who was 17 to coach my son on bathroom/ locker room etiquette .....my son was doing water polo, could not us woman's dressing room, which is totally different than using a restroom in my mind....had him teach my kiddo the dos and donts of the locker room.....twice a week for 6 weeks a lesson......it has given me confidence that my son knows what is ok.....but I still hover outside the door and don't care who thinks I am nuts...my kid is my priority, not what other people think of me.  Do what you feel in your gut what is right for your kid and their maturity level.

Quoting jennymoon4: Augh - I already am paranoid with my boys using the men's room. Yesterday my son wanted to use the bathroom at the beach but it made me nervous. Poor kid wouldn't go on the empty lady's room with me & there was no family room. He held it all the way home. I offered to stop at a fast food place or something but he said he could wait. I think my apprehension made him nervous.
Quoting solen:

solen
by VintageMom on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:11 AM

Thank goodness the man is a " nice " celebrity.......but yep, you guessed it....but our name is spelled a little differently.  I live in north county, used to live in Newport beach, where are you?

Quoting t1gger143: Trevor Hoffman. Lol. I live about 2 hours north of San diego. I miss it down there. I had completely forgotten about the Oceanside boy.
Quoting solen:

t1gger143
by Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:18 AM
Victorville

Quoting solen:

Thank goodness the man is a " nice " celebrity.......but yep, you guessed it....but our name is spelled a little differently.  I live in north county, used to live in Newport beach, where are you?

Quoting t1gger143: Trevor Hoffman. Lol. I live about 2 hours north of San diego. I miss it down there. I had completely forgotten about the Oceanside boy.

Quoting solen:

barbie_girl870
by Heather on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:29 AM
My hubby takes him
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2015 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, he will always go with me to the bathroom.  I try to use a family restroom if there is one, otherwise, he will go with me.  Period.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)