Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child do full or half day school?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:40 PM
  • 10 Replies
Does your child do a full day of school? Or do they do half day school half day therapy?
And how old is your child?

Are they mainstreamed? How does that work if there not! New to this!

Our son is 5 and trying to determine if he should do a full day of school with ABA a couple evenings a week or do half day school half day ABA ?

The school would rather him do a full day but I know I can write ABA into his IEP
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2015 at 6:31 AM

Brady goes to full day Kindergarten at a private Autism school that is ABA based.

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 7:50 AM

My two 6.5 year olds are half day school, half day ABA and private therapies.  In school they are in gen Ed to get the peer interraction and correct peer modeling, but then they are pulled out to a resource room to work on their IEP goals and school therapies.  They attend 3.5 hours a day.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 9:19 AM
Sam is now in an interesting program. He is 1/2 day right now (day 8 of new program) but his class is a small one- where the kids can mainstream (with aid support at first) or they can remain in small class. If they are mainstream and having a challenging day, they can stay or return to the small class.
He will be mainstreamed for specials (once they determine his grade level-- he missed 6 months of 3rd grade (which for good or bad did not effect his academics) but we have not determined if he should repeat 3rd for some. The class is geared to each child academic standing- so even if Sam is reading at 7th grade level... He can... But still do math at 3rd. :)
Im liking it a lot. It has some ABA components. He gets ABA 1 afternoon for 2.5 hours but I'm unsure how long that will continue.
He is 8.
princess_1983
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 9:37 AM

My son is 7. He goes to school for a full day. He has therapy after school.

Anoronlight
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 9:48 AM
My daughter goes three days a week right now, it's all she has been able to handle. She goes all day Monday, Wednesdays are early release and Fridays she does a half day, due to therapy in the mornings.

She is in a small class in a day treatment school.
emarin77
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 10:34 AM

First, to answer your question, I would ask your child's psychologist or the person that diagnosed your child what would be appropriate.  My son has HFA with ADHD.  He is in first grade, mainstreamed in a full day class.  

bigmomma04
by Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:32 AM
I live in nyc. My son is in a special school for children with developmental disabilities through district 75. District 75 deals with students with special needs/special ed. He goes to school full day and receives all therapy in school.
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Mar. 17, 2015 at 6:36 PM
My oldest is in 2nd and full day. In an autism classroom. Meaning all kids are on the spectrum. He gets therapy at school; OT and speech.
My youngest is in half day preschool. He gets OT, PT and speech in an aba classroom. He goes to full day kindergarten next year. We will know placement next Tuesday.
K1tten
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Zion had a full day in kindergarten as well as first grade th year. He is is a mainstream classroom for certain subjects and in an autistic support for everything else.

mypbandj
by Jen on Mar. 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM
I have 3 kids: 4, 14 & 17

Oldest has an IEP and had been in full day since he started kinder.
(Same with middle child; she does not have an IEP).
Youngest is in preschool and that's 1/2 say. Next year he will be in full day kinder with an IEP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)